I hate my pypes...

o0Dan0o

Founding Member
Feb 8, 2001
So I've about had it with my pypes mid muffler system. The passenger side is fine, no rubbing or rattling, but the tip hangs too low. The driver side will either rattle on the gas tank or the PHB brace, and the tip hangs too high. I'm tired of it, it sucks, I want it gone...

So, the question becomes with what do I replace it? I hack-sawed the stock over-axle pipes because they wouldn't come out. So, unfortunately, I need new over axle pipes. I know of the pypes over-axle pipes, but I just don't know how much I trust them now. Does anyone have any experience with these? I also know of the Magnaflow kit, but that's over $600... Any thoughts on the best way to go? Thanks.
Dan

• Sponsors (?)

i just installed the pypes system you have with a pypes x pipe with cats...

did the install myself in my garage... then the next morning, immediately took it to a muffler shop for them to double check everything, tighten everything and adjust it all. he had to cut and re-weld the hangers to even them out...

all in all i was there for 12 minutes from the time he put it on the rack.

charged me 25 bucks... handed him a 50

i love my system pypes mid muffler system

I've taken it to a muffler shop before, though the guy was kinda a moron. This is the 4th or 5th time I've had it up to mess with it and I can not get the damn thing to line up so it has clearance everywhere.

Add to that I don't really like the sound with my LT's and O/R-H, it's good but too much drone and trumpeting. Frankly, I'm not sure which mufflers I want, I just don't want to have to deal with this any more.
Dan

well, thats a different story... i love the way mine sounds... and i know that once the cam gets installed it will be crazy

but i live in texas where we have to have cats. so, that is probably why mine sounds a little different.

i have dynomat all throughout my car and i usually have the radio up, but i am used to racing and riding a bike where all you hear is the road and your exhaust and every car around you...

the sounds of my car don't really bother me if i have music to focus on, so if there were a little rattle or a little drone, i probably wouldnt pay attention... as long as my car was faster than the next guy :rlaugh:

How ironic that as i was reading this thread the Pypes cat back systems was in the banner ad at the top of the. hahahah

pypescopy.jpg

Attachments

• pypescopy.jpg
    pypescopy.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 81
Just a note bro, next time you wanna take your over axle pipes out, just lower the rear end of the car and then you don't need to cut it out. I love my Pypes system even though I had to go to a shop to get everything aligned.

Just a note bro, next time you wanna take your over axle pipes out, just lower the rear end of the car and then you don't need to cut it out. I love my Pypes system even though I had to go to a shop to get everything aligned.

I tried every way from sunday to get those out, I didn't want to hack through them but I just couldn't get them out. Axle all the way down, one side of the car supported with the jack stand as high as it goes and the side I was working on higher with the jack under it. I got close, but just not enough room.
Dan

I tried every way from sunday to get those out, I didn't want to hack through them but I just couldn't get them out. Axle all the way down, one side of the car supported with the jack stand as high as it goes and the side I was working on higher with the jack under it. I got close, but just not enough room.
Dan

Oh, well all I had to do was turn the "hump" part of it on its side and pull towards the front of the car and it came right out.

Yeah, I may have tried every way but the way that works. I was under there for an hour just trying to get them out, cursing because I knew how easy it would be with a lift.

91FRPPGT, did you get the kit with the new over axle pipes, if so hows the fit? That's pretty much the kit I'm looking at, only other one at a half way decent price.
Dan

Well, after looking at all my options I think you guys may be on to something. The pypes mid muffler is going to sound about as good as any other, and in the interest of saving money I think having a good muffler shop fix them for me is a good idea. At the same time I may have some metal substrate cats welded in (since I have another offroad h-pipe I can put in whenever I like).

So, any one know a good muffler shop or speed shop in Houston where I can get this done fore relatively cheap?
Dan

Well, after looking at all my options I think you guys may be on to something. The pypes mid muffler is going to sound about as good as any other, and in the interest of saving money I think having a good muffler shop fix them for me is a good idea. At the same time I may have some metal substrate cats welded in (since I have another offroad h-pipe I can put in whenever I like).

So, any one know a good muffler shop or speed shop in Houston where I can get this done fore relatively cheap?
Dan

i don't have any experience with this shop but my brother does. he lived in houston for years and took multiple drags to this guy to get custom exhaust.

i emailed him... he said its called memes muffler and brake off richmond avenue. i don't have the exact address, but hopefully that is enough information to get you started.

i don't have any experience with this shop but my brother does. he lived in houston for years and took multiple drags to this guy to get custom exhaust.

i emailed him... he said its called memes muffler and brake off richmond avenue. i don't have the exact address, but hopefully that is enough information to get you started.

That should do, I'll look him up, thanks a ton!
Dan