I have $1500 to spend..What mods next??

j48i

Mar 24, 2003
Ok so I have roughly $1500 to spend right now on my '87 coupe. It's a 5spd with 180k on the odometer. The car is still speed density with the following mods: BBK 3pc Pulley set, Motorsport 9mm wires, BBK Headers, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster mufflers, Eibach Sportline Springs, KYB Struts, and Tri-ax shifter. Also Subframe connectors should be here in a day or two also

The main mod I had in mind was AFR 165's and Typhoon Int-Manifold but not really sure how they would do with a stock 302? My future plans is to run a 306 but I'm just sorting out a effective engine combo, don't want to have do things twice.

Opinions please on my next mod(s)?

• Sponsors (?)

j48i said:
Ok so I have roughly $1500 to spend right now on my '87 coupe. It's a 5spd with 180k on the odometer. The car is still speed density with the following mods: BBK 3pc Pulley set, Motorsport 9mm wires, BBK Headers, Bassani X-pipe, Flowmaster mufflers, Eibach Sportline Springs, KYB Struts, and Tri-ax shifter. Also Subframe connectors should be here in a day or two also

The main mod I had in mind was AFR 165's and Typhoon Int-Manifold but not really sure how they would do with a stock 302? My future plans is to run a 306 but I'm just sorting out a effective engine combo, don't want to have do things twice.

Opinions please on my next mod(s)?

with those kinda miles, I wouldn't be considering too much without plans for a new short/longblock. If you want a good foundation to build on, now may be a great time to invest into a fresh shortblock which you can build upon. IMO, afr's on a block with that many miles is asking for trouble.

since you have the eibach's and kyb's i would suggest getting the energy suspension full poly kit. , i had that on an older car and it was pretty amazing.

and that car had stock springs and kyb's.

i have eibach's on my current car but nothing else, so i can imagine how that combo would handle. then i would get the heads and upgrade the fuel system. heads are the bottle neck right now, what kind of headers do you have?

If it isn't smoking, I wouldn't bother with an engine kit. Also I'd get AFR 165s and a Track Heat intake. I have gears, and they're awesome, but I'd rather have heads and intake.

i would invest in a new block, FRPP Sportsman, if you dont feel the need to ever have more than about 650 horse. Buying that and having it machined all said and done should be around there. Hell, might even be able to get a crank with all that for 1500. I would start building a 331/347 myself. It will be WAY more fun in the long run. i just bought myself a stock roller block myself and am doing this. its fun

upgrade your cooling system with an aluminum radiator and high flow water pump, upgrade your fuel system with bigger pump and AFPR, and of course upgrade to a mass air A9L or similar. Then you'll be ready for the big stuff, i.e. HCI, which is where the party really gets started.

Bottom line is, $1500 seems like a lot of money now... a couple of years from now you'll say to yourself that wasn't ****, look at this $5000 turbo kit I got in my garage now! :D

mansonozz said:
^ That's the truth :rlaugh:

Ever plan on swapping to mass air?

haha thats soo true, if my dad didn't step in and keep my dreams realistic from my age I would have parts lying around his garage.

and that is a good question about the mass air, that was one of the first mods I did to my 88, its not hard, if you need the instructions I can post them or pm me if you have any other questions.

Definitely gears!!!!! The best bang for the buck, hands down. Then convert to MA. Save the left over for a new short block, then you can slowly assemble your dream motor as you get the money, then just drop it in!!!