I have a new stutter and a CEL, need advice

SMRcalidiv

Founding Member
Aug 14, 2002
Sacramento, CA
Well my car began stuttering today and idling roughly, then it threw the check engine light. I have not done anything to the car recently that I can look back on and it was running fine yesterday. There is new gas in the car and Ive just now used a quarter tank, but just driving it home I noticed I used more gas than normal...weird. Anyways, is there a cheap scan tool I could buy, I see them at Pep Boys/ Kragen and I would rather buy one than pay close to the same to have it scanned. Thoughts on the problem and the tool?

• Sponsors (?)

Since it's a guessing game until the codes are ran, I vote for a loose vac. line :)

The guys at the local Autozone know when I go that it's time for them to pull a code. They know me by name and guess my problem before we pull the code :rlaugh: Sad thing is, I never go there unless I need a code pulled. I goto Oreilly which is right beside them for "shopping".

d98gt said:
The plug and COP? :bs: I'm going to win the bet with that guess.

I guess we'll see once he returns with the results :)

Well if it's stuttering while driving then it's a misfire of some sort.. and the most common cause of a misfire is a bad COP and plug on the modular motors.

if it's only idling bad and is fine under part throttle then it could be a vac leak..

lets see what the codes are..

Ok, guys I am going to get s scanner here in a little while and I will post the codes. I would drive the car down to Autozone but after shooting a plug out of my head, TWICE, I would rather play it safe and wait. So stay tuned lol

I replaced both, and the stutter is gone. It was obvious that moisture had got down in there from when I cleaned my motor, but that was like 2 weeks ago. There was some rust on the ceramic and plug connector, but the tip of the plug looked fine. I may have been able to just replace the plug but I thought it was weird that there was such a long delay before the stutter. Maybe Ill try the cop on another cylinder to see if its bad. The one it was on was a PITA to get out with a bullitt intake, I actually had to take off the throttle body to get to it. Is there any way to test a COP without it on the car?

SMRcalidiv said:
I replaced both, and the stutter is gone. It was obvious that moisture had got down in there from when I cleaned my motor, but that was like 2 weeks ago. There was some rust on the ceramic and plug connector, but the tip of the plug looked fine. I may have been able to just replace the plug but I thought it was weird that there was such a long delay before the stutter. Maybe Ill try the cop on another cylinder to see if its bad. The one it was on was a PITA to get out with a bullitt intake, I actually had to take off the throttle body to get to it. Is there any way to test a COP without it on the car?

As long as the stutter is gone then the COP is ok.. you have the second most common cause of misfires ( water in the plug holes) bad COP, plug is second,,