I have a serious problem with my stang

Ok, so i was on the highway and this dodge truck was riding my tail ( the left lane was full of cars and i wanted to get in front of them so the dodge wouldnt be riding my tail anymore)so i down shift into second (auto trans) and floor it.... well when i do this i hear a high pitched noise and think nothing of it... thinking i just broke the tires loose i continue for about 5 seconds when i realize that my car isnt speeding up isnt slowing down and its at the same rpm( on flat ground ) as when i downshifted, now it seems that the car will not put any power to the ground after about 3500 rpm and it usually doesnt go up in the rpm range after about there, when i floor it and the car downshifts the car stops putting power to the ground and wont until it shifts back to a lower rpm... the car doesnt make any weird noises, i dont think the tranny is broken considering it does this in every gear and when in neutral it revs to the revlimiter fine. Does anyone have any idea what the problem might be? Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

i always have it in overdrive, thats not the problem... a lot of people told me that the exhaust or intake flow might be blocked but i dont think so, as i have checked those.... someone else suggested that the timing might not be advancing, any thoughts on that?

Well sorry to hear! Your gonna be putting in a new transmission. Had mine go out on me after destoying the 2-3 valve. You might want to try disengaging the overdrive. You should find that the car will accelerate and decelerate but wind out pretty fast. After a little while you will start hearing a highpitch whistling sound and smelling something like burnt metal.

The color of my fluid was fine too. I hope you do not have to replace, but it does sound like you have some serious damage.
In my case the 2-3 accumulator valve had shattered and plastic pieces became lodged in the trans wreaking havic. Car sounded pretty awesome though... sorta like the high pitched whistle of a jet taking off! Best advise... get it to a good tranny shop.

Red96stangv6 said:
Yeah i plan on taking it to this tranny shop that worked on my tranny when the previous owner had it... there suppose to be a really good tranny shop so ill see how that goes. About disengaging it i thought you might have been talking about something else.
Nope... just push the OD button on the shift colum. If you find that you can still accelerate in what feels like 2rd gear, then it was probably 2-3 acumulator. These valves are really crappy pieces of plastic and shatter under high pressure.

Well, I don't think any exhaust problem could cause the drivability problems you have, so it must be fuel. It might be a clogged fuel filter or a blockage in the line somewhere.

Try replacing the filter. It's only $5 and probably needs to be changed anyway!

because, just flooring it at 70 doesnt bring my rpm up very fast, but if i downshift then it brings it to about 3800rpm instantly, giving me the power i need to do what i need to do, if you notice, these cars dont not have alot of power and i know how to race my car... in that instance i need to get away from the dodge that was riding my tail, i couldnt get over in the right lane because it was full of cars, there were about 3 cars ahead up me so i had to get in front of that car to get the dodge off of my tail... thats why i downshift my automatic... and if you would have read all of the posts then you would realize that my tranny is fine and that i would find out today if it is my fuel pump... i had a tranny shop owner drive my car and he said that it wasnt the transmission