I just installed sequential led tail lights......pics and video......

MrBobMarley

Founding Member
Oct 7, 2002
Ft Myers, FL
So I found that people were getting a little too close for comfort during daytime driving.....so I ordered this kit on ebay. Made by mustangproject.com....I ordered the brightest one they had, 115 leds on each side. Kit came with pretty simple instructions. It said the lights were blatantly marked for left and right but I'll be damned if i saw anything on there lol. [edit...I just saw the little resistor(?) under either left or right .....how did I miss that lol.]

One thing that sucked was they used SOLID wires (why???)....stranded is ideal for soldering as far as I'm concerned. I actually had one of the signal wires coming from the socket break off while unwrapping the wires....I was so pissed but I wasn't about to send it back and wait another week. On top of that it didnt break at the solder joint like I thought it would, but rather where some genius used a wire stripper to skin the insulation off. Great....except that they went one size too small and put a deep bite mark in the copper which made it really weak. I soldered it back together but I mean c'mon people.

Here's some pics and a little vid of them working. Not really a write up, cause it's so simple, but I suppose it could help somebody out if they needed a visual. The one tool that made this job really easy was a 11/32 hollow shaft nutdriver. Mine is a klein electrician's nutdriver and boy it was a breeze removing and re-installing the tail housings with it.

I forgot to take pics of the led install, got carried away hehe.

The whole kit.

9.jpg

7-1.jpg

8.jpg

3.jpg

Here's the old turn signal flasher I removed.

5.jpg

New flasher module, plugs right in.

6.jpg

Taped up just in case.

4.jpg

Screwing it back on.

2.jpg

Left is the original incandescent.......right is the new led tail. I love i!!:D

1.jpg

And finally here's a video of them working. If you watch the vid on youtube's site you can see it in high quality too.

.........**EDIT** ..................I made a new better vid (w/o my lic. plate) and the little flickering going on is my camera. The leds flicker in the vid but are solid and steady to the human eye. Just wanted to point that out.

I should have done this much sooner :D

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 251
  • 7-1.jpg
    7-1.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 268
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    89.4 KB · Views: 317
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 339
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 2,297
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 285
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 283
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 287
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 386
  • Sponsors (?)

Thanks dude:cheers:

Honestly I wouldn't have a problem recommending the kit. The little hiccup with the copper wire was a minor fix for me, might be major for someone else though. I'd like to think not all the kits come this way hehe. For those tail light housings, that hollow shaft nutdriver is a must, I cant stress that enough lol.

I am extremely satisfied and is mostly because of the increased safety factor. I do drive my stang quite a bit (not my DD though) and I really dont need to get rear ended because the brake lights were dim.

Also, the lights dont have that ricey, dotted led look. It's a huge mass of light which is exactly what I wanted. I would buy it again for sure.

Thanks for sharing and posting nice pictures. Not a bad price, but the use of solid wires show that units were outsourced to the lowest bidder. The crimped wires on the flasher look very shoddy, they should've used non-insulated soldered connectors and then shrink-wrapped. These are automotive safety devices after all.

hipo - thanks! you'll love them.

deltascrew - thank you. i never noticed npd made a set. i'll check it out.

ron67fb - No probs. The lowest bidder always gets the job...sad but true. I also wasnt happy with the crimps. I know the tape will be ok until it starts to unwrap itself haha. But all in all I think it was a decent price for what I got.

mrbobmarley, hey your car is awesome. Maybe I am a little biased because I have the same car in the same color! I think I will be going with Eastwood Co's Gasser Green Metallic for the restoration. I am glad you posted some information on these lights, I was interested in them but wanted to make sure they were good quality. Thanks for posting!

Armando
:nice:

Looks great! I'm in the process of researching LED light panels myself and was leaning towards Mustang Projects kit as well. It seemed like overall they were the best value. The end result looks awesome and it'll be nice not to cringe everytime I hit the brakes with someone behind me.

I like these but I would really like the 4-way flasher to be sequential as well. Anyone know of a kit that does that ?

I have been thinking about making my own sequential flasher for quite a while. It shouldn't be TOO hard to do but I wasn't going to use LEDs.

Sharp lookin car.