I learned something today....

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
dont overtighten the bolts on the valve cover, i didnt know and i broke one of them. We hope the easy-outs will take car of it or we have to take apart some of the engine and take the valve cover off.

• Sponsors (?)

The term "easy out" gets thrown around for some really hard to get out bolts. So dont get too caught up in the name they can be tough.

Write this message on every big ratchet, breaker bar, or pipe you have....

When In Doubt Use A Torque Wrench.

It might sound a little stupid but the first few engines I built I used a torque wrench for every single bolt until I starting getting the feel of things better.

well the reversed screw thing (whatever its called) worked, we got lucky. We were worried we would have to tear down part of the engine to fix it.

Where we are now, the car idles funny, dies easy, hard to get going when cold. We run the tests withe the dial gadget, and it gave us a code for a vacuum leak and the other 3 we got were about the TPS, like being out of specified range. I get paid tomorrow. My dad isnt sure if we should get a new TPS, because it will be wasted money if it doesnt fix anything? They are about 25$, should i go ahead and get one since 3 of the codes were about the TPS?

Then on the vaccum leak, theres a little black piece connected to the EGR, its about 3 inches long, its connected to a vacuum line and plugged on the other end. Part of it melted from a pipe thats near it. So we plugged it with some plastic piece we found. We are trying to find another piece, going to go to a junkyard to see if we can find a fox that has the piece. Or try to find out if it's a neccesary piece or not.

Any help?

As for the TPS... Set the tps voltage and the reset the computer and drive it. If the codes go away you're good to go.
IF not....

Find/make/buy a low voltage (5V) light and hook it to the signal side of the TP sensor. Slowly open the throttle and see if the light brightens any, flickers, or just goes off at some point.....Replace the TP.

The same can be tested if you know of anybody with a labscope.

so if the light shines it's ok? and if it flickers , brightens or dies, its a bad TPS?
oh and how do you set the tps voltage?

today we went and bought some vacuum plugs, and a piece of rubber pipe to seal thing little pipe thing better, at first it sounded like it fixed the whole problem, but it didnt. My dad got up close and said he head another vacuum leak, we will try and find it.

One more question... Where can i find a hornpad for the 87-89 style steering wheel, the pad is shot so it will honk forever almost evertime it honks.

After this i need new outside door handles, front end alignment, oil change and i'm good to go. PLUS the tagging will be only 40$, it was setting for 2 years. We get our tags through the indian tribes down here. We wont have to pay penalty fees if we get a mechanics statement telling why the car was sitting for 2 years. My dad can get one easily. And the tagging fee is one fee based on the year of the car. We were planning like 200-400 or something, when we bought the car.

Set the TPS AFTER your car idle is set.

Turn car off/key on

To Set the tps voltage, using a volt meter you tap the green wire
(comming outa the tps)
with your positive prong and ground your negative prong to the body/battery. Loosen the two retaining philips screws and adjust it up and down until you get ~.94v .
Tighten the screws and your done.

Horn pad- pick-a-part or ebay.