I love 5.0's: header install!

grey5.0beast

Cookies should never be DUNKED!!!
Aug 3, 2004
atl ga
I bought some Summit Shorty headers inchrome finish for my car. Blah blah chromewon't last, I am broke and it was a good bolton for now and cheap at only 140 dollars.

I have heard of people having to dropkmembers and lifting the enignes to put in headers on other cars, I didn't even take off the H-pipe!!!

All I did was take out all of the header bolts, which took about 20 min for both sides, using airtools on passenger side but only hand tools on the drivers(due to bitchy neighbors) including loosening the smog tubes and air intake tract. I climbed underneath the car and unbolted the hpipe from the headers in about 10 min and then jimmied the stock headers up and out from above.

Then the passenger side new header went in easily, with the driver'sside taking a little manuevering to get it around the dipstick, I also had to bend the dibstick-tube bracket to go in between the header tubes, but no biggie. Then I torqued the blts down and got everythingin.

I would just like to say that the Summit brand headers are AWESOME lol. I am just excited, I know you get what you pay for, but the fitment on these badboys is second to none!!

• Sponsors (?)

I honestly think 99% of "poor fitment" that you hear about is just people getting upset that they have a hard time installing whatever they're installing and they blame the part and not themselves.

The first, and i mean FIRST experience i had wrenching on a Mustang was a shorty header swap....good times :D

Ok, now do that with header studs. I have header studs because, well since I put them on I haven't had a blown header gasket in 2 years, but it is a bitch to get the headers on. There is a lot of prying involved.

that sucks. I wouldn't use header studs, mine were pretty easy I used a wrench to get em tight, they said to torque them to 15-20 ft-lbs but I just made them all nice and tight, working fromthe inside out.

Yeah that doesn't sound fun at all. Why not just get allen head bolts so you can crank'em down nice and tight?

Because at the time allen head bolts were way expensive. As little as I take them off it doesn't really matter. I've also gotten good at taking them on and off so it doesn't bother me anymore. Sometimes I like them a little better because they make sure everything is lined up well.

yeah that was the hardest part. I only had trouble with the pass.side, I had the smog line that goes to the H between the head and the header and it wasn't lining up, took me awhile to figure out what was going on :doh:

Because at the time allen head bolts were way expensive. As little as I take them off it doesn't really matter. I've also gotten good at taking them on and off so it doesn't bother me anymore. Sometimes I like them a little better because they make sure everything is lined up well.

A good tip that a lot of car guys overlook is pretty much any bolt on a car can be found at a reputable hardware store...i found my allen head bolts at Lowes, and they're even grade 8 bolts, and were less than a dollar each.

Then if you wanna make it real easy, get an allen head socket, or just make your own with a socket and an allen wrench, and cut off about a 3 inch section of it and use it with the socket.

:stupid:

Trickflow wanted 20 bucks for a TB hardware kit. F' That, I went and picked up all the bolts I needed for my tb for 75 cents each and got an extra just in case I lost one, I have been known to do this on the way home from the parts store.:lol:

grey5.0beast.. learn to use the damn space bar you tard. every post you ever make all off your words are jumbled together. bet its those goofy glass's thats messing you up.

How many damn times do I have to tell you guys,my space bar is broken on my laptop. Sometimes I go through the post again make sure I hit it twice to put a space in, most time I don't give a ****. I wear contacts,I couldn't find my case when we went to the track BTW.

At least a tenth!, I think it was the one big restriction out of my intake/exhaust. Now I can start working on some heads. Then a tfs1 cam. I really should easily be in the 13s on some tires. I amhoping for 13.8 at least!

yeah we need pics and let me know when the chrome burns off. I thought about getting some of these since my header paint burned off of my headers in...oh...probably 2 minutes if that. I guess it really doesn't effect anything