I love TIVO !!!!!

I just got a new direct tv dvr about a week ago, and man is it great :hail2: ! I love knowing that I dont have to plan anything around watching a show. I can just record it and watch it when I have time. I mainly bought it for the conan obrien show; it comes on at 11:30 my time.

Just wondering if anyone else on here has one ,or if they have done any of the ''mods'' to theirs.

• Sponsors (?)

I have two tivo boxes, I bought my first TIVO in 2001. I could NOT live without it. My wife and I love it so much we bought my in-laws one for Christmas a few years back so that when we are at their house we don't have to watch commercials anymore!

TIVO rules. I honestly do not understand why everyone in the country does not have at least one by now.

I liked it so much, I mothballed my series 1 TIVO and bought 2 series 2 units (80 freeg'n bucks a peice!!! - That's like 1/10 what they are worth in terms of convenience). Now I can move shows from the basement to the family room, download to laptop, or burn to DVD.

OK, so I'm a geek for my TIVO.

Got it with direct tv as well, I love it. The in-laws have a dishnet version and they want to switch to direct to get the real deal. I just go threw the weeks shows I want to watch like mythbusters, mail call, other things on disc., History, Com. and kick back and watch.

How do you get it to work with the computer? just run the USB wire from the back to the computer and down load? What other "mods" can you do?

You need a series 2 TIVO (which practically everyone sold in the last couple of years are), a home network, and the TIVO server software. Plus, you need to request a software update on your TIVO unit (that can be done in the settings menu, I think)

To burn to DVD, you need to download another piece of software on your computer. TIVO's web site describes it all fairly well.

As far as mods, run a GOOGLE on TIVO mods. There are a bunch of things I have never tried. One I did try with the old TIVO was a code that turned your advance button into a 30 second leap forward. The advance button normally jumps you ahead like 15 or 30 minutes. But with the mod, you could skip commercials. Four clicks and you buzzed right through a 2 minute commercial break without having to even watch them on fast forward.

TIVO did not make that feature standard out of fear of reprisals from the networks and Hollywood. And I don't know if it still works with the newer series 2 units.

I built my own PVR with DVD burner, don't need TIVO and I can surf the web to. Only have 120gig now but I will be going to 300 some time soon.

Depending on the file format you can do alot of recording. I have all the James Bond movies on there exept the lastest three.

I bought TiVo when it first came out. I have no patience and its screwed me twice, first with TiVo then with my iPOD. I absoultely love both products and use them everyday, but if I had only waited I could have had the newest one's with alot more features for alot less money !! Oh well, it was kinda cool having a TiVo and an iPOD before most people even knew what they were !!

I was talking about a High def DVR. Anyone have one? How much are they new?

Also the ''mod'' thing I was talking about is on ebay. I typed in (tivo card) and it brought up a bunch of these computer chip looking devices with a phone cord. Some say that it made their tivo go really fast like in the guide sceen. Just wondering if you could bennefit without a cable or dsl connection?

The other thing on there was another chip looking thing that enabled you to copy all of your shows to a dvd burner in your comp.

direct tv charges like a 4.99 sub. charge.

Does anyone have there Tivo un-hooked from the phone jack? What does it do or not do. The only reason we have a phone line in the house is for the Tivo and if we dont realy need it I am canceling the phone line. I know I will not be able to order pay-per-view as easy (I would have to call myself). We both have cell phones and the internet will soon be a DSL line so $35 a month just so Tivo can do whatever is kinda stupid.

I used my TiVo without a phoneline for over a year. The bad part was there isnt a way to download the Program Guide without a phone connection. This is only a minor pain since you can manually record any program you wean tif you know what time its on. BTW, Im refering to my original series 1 TiVo, I have heard the new ones require a phone line, but Im not sure.

I've been a DVR junky for a couple of years now. We also have "On Demand" so we can watch movies when we want plus rewind/foward them or whatever. I haven't watched a timed prime time show in at least 3 years. My 6 year old boy learned how to use it and he records his own shows (Sponge Bob, Jimmy Neutron, etc.). It's very addicting. Watching a 30 minute sitcom in 20 minutes commercial free is just good time management.

I just paused "Harold and Kumar Go To White Castle" to come browse on here.

I checked out a few of the forums from a google search. The phone line seems to only affect the PPV, and sports "ticket" stuff. Everyone said the guide is updated threw the sat.

I priced DSL service from my current phone co. (SBC) and it would be cheaper for that than the phone line we now have. Plus I can just route the tivo threw that connection if need be. This way I can kill two birds with one stone. Get a nice DSL internet conn. get rid of the phone line (that we never, never use, the wife doesnt even know what its ring sounds like). Secondly, actually save money over the phone plan.

blksn955.o, I unhooked mine when I first got it to see what the difference was and couldnt tell? I did have a directv installer tell me that if I didnt have the phone cord hooked up that it would'nt be able to store any memory. It makes sense, but I dont know how true it is?

pleasehelp, I purchased mine at a circuit city. With a 3 year warranty it came out to $140.00, or if you buy it without warranty $100. I believe that if you get it through direct it's right at $100. , but I dont know if it comes with any type of warranty with them? And yes I think you pay like $5.00 buck extra each month for your dvr, but it's well worth it!