I May Have Bitten Off More Than I Can Chew Here...

kdryan

Feb 2, 2000
Fort Wayne, In
Bought this as a father/son project. He is 14 now, so it should be done by the time he is ready to drive, but I am wondering. It's supposed t be all there. The heater duct work and AC is in the trunk, the console and dash pad are in the garage, and the rest is right here. Note the fuse block on the passenger seat with every wire cut...

So what do you think?

00Q0Q_7hbIbdmAh3J_600x450.jpg

00707_hnaITX7bWQl_600x450.jpg

00D0D_5J6525eG9WV_600x450.jpg

00505_l9pmSxfOlRA_600x450.jpg

20151201_132610.jpg 20151201_132619.jpg 20151201_132649.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Looks like a project...
Nothing that can't be fixed, it would be a good opportunity for a father/son project for sure. Personally I would look for a complete harness out of another car rather than trying to splice that chopped harness back together. You have tons of options on how to go about fixing/upgrading this car.

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like an excellent starting point. Have fun and remember to pace yourself. It's more about the experience with your son and not so much about getting the car done. There are also options other than stock for wiring (i.e. painless wiring and such).

My advice is tuck tail and run! Even a clean 5.0 that is a solid performer can be a huge project depending on your goal for the car. Most people fail half way through this kind of project and sell it for a decent loss. Depending on what you want to do with this car you should expect to spend at least $10k minimum for engine work, interior, suspension, brakes, wheels, body and paint plus lots of other odds and ends that add up quick.

I would start out with a good running and clean stock or near stock vehicle unless you really know what you are doing. Run away from cars with chopped up wiring harnesses, torn torque boxes and warped floor pans, salvage titles, efi to carb conversions, etc.

Either way good luck to you and your Father & Son build.

Reactions: 1 user
My advice is tuck tail and run! Even a clean 5.0 that is a solid performer can be a huge project depending on your goal for the car. Most people fail half way through this kind of project and sell it for a decent loss. Depending on what you want to do with this car you should expect to spend at least $10k minimum for engine work, interior, suspension, brakes, wheels, body and paint plus lots of other odds and ends that add up quick.

I would start out with a good running and clean stock or near stock vehicle unless you really know what you are doing. Run away from cars with chopped up wiring harnesses, torn torque boxes and warped floor pans, salvage titles, efi to carb conversions, etc.

Either way good luck to you and your Father & Son build.

Disagree.

Son is 14 and this is a carb car? Oh hell yeah, I'd take this project on. I'm not spending $10K on it though, that for sure.

Motor: Garage bay rebuild of all the soft parts including bearings, rings, and springs (that kinda rhymes).
Replace all consumable brake comps to include MC, slave, and calipers.
Install full length sub-frame connectors.
Buff the chit out of it an apply touch-up from a rattle can where needed.
Rebuild Trac-lok
Replace wheel bearings

There's likely no way you wish to set your 16 year old son loose with some 1/4 mile monster. Leave it stock. If he wants more power later, it's because he's good enough with it that it will feel slow. 170ish Hp and 2:73s still allow for plenty of trouble.

Interior is all junk yard acquisition and VHT prep and vinyl die..

Since the HVAC is already out, just check on pricing for from Painless Wiring for an 85. It's not nearly as much spaghetti as FI cars.

Walmart head unit and speakers... I think you're all set. :nice:

If I missed something, someone will throw a shoe. :hide:

Reactions: 1 users
Looks pretty solid, body looks great, and it'll be fun to do. post pics once you strip out (unload) all the stuff sitting in the cabin. pull the seats carpet and all so we can all see whats there

It all depends on how mechanically inclined you are, how much time you can spend on it, and of course the budget.

Research is your friend, and the junkyards have so many options to upgrade and replace parts ( there are lists on here of makes and models for different parts from HCI, Rear-ends, brakes, alternator, etc.)

LMR, CJ Pony, 5.0 Resto have almost anything desired. I personally use advance auto and rock auto for consumables. Primary because LMR uses Cardone for their budget replacements stuff anyways.

Gas is cheap now, so go for it. Plenty of help available here.

I recently said this in my thread and I'll say it again. A big misconception about these cars is "they're everywhere and cheap to build". Junk yard cars are typically beat and the ones in good condition are typically not being parted out but being sold whole. Depending on how far this guy wants to take his build, budget, and mechanical skills he may be in over his head just like the title of his thread suggests. Only he can answer that.

The car doesn't look too far gone at all. A sistine restoration would def take this project out of the standard garage. Up, operational, and safe, I think can be accomplished by most folks who already understand that there's two wrench size standards. :D

The version I'm talking about requires mostly replacement of parts.

I also noticed the OP's ad for his 06. It's a damned nice car that's obviously had some considerable attention to detail. That alone tells me that the OP probably has some mechanical ability. At least the kind necessary to replace old parts.

Can we dump $10k into a car like this? OH hell yeah. Probably smile the whole time too. :D

Ignore the naysayer, rest of us realize you have a good idea of the fun, education and bonding ahead,

Allot of awesome help for you in here from the general to the finite technical.

Keep the pics and posts coming and turn this thread into a documentary of the journey you and your boy can look back on ;)

The car doesn't look too far gone at all. A sistine restoration would def take this project out of the standard garage. Up, operational, and safe, I think can be accomplished by most folks who already understand that there's two wrench size standards. :D

The version I'm talking about requires mostly replacement of parts.

I also noticed the OP's ad for his 06. It's a damned nice car that's obviously had some considerable attention to detail. That alone tells me that the OP probably has some mechanical ability. At least the kind necessary to replace old parts.

Can we dump $10k into a car like this? OH hell yeah. Probably smile the whole time too. :D

I agree his 06' is a very clean Mustang. Maybe that Mustang is a testament to how high his standards are for a finished product? If so this car he's starting with is far from easy to restore into great condition. I know in my area parts in good condition are not easy nor inexpensive to find. I've been in over my head and kept a tally of my receipts and building/restoring a car from this condition is not for the timid nor small budget oriented unless he really is shooting for an average car. On the surface his 06' Mustang consists mainly of bolt on mods that most anybody can perform so I don't think that's a clear indication of having the mechanical know how to do an in depth restoration/build. The OP's mechanical knowledge has yet to be confirmed and I don't think this car is a suitable "beginners project".

Anyways, I'd like to hear from the OP on build plans, budget and mechanical know how before more assumptions are made.

I love Father and Son builds like what @Boosted92LX is doing and I encourage them. There is also this other F & S build that I follow on youtube and the Father has great mechanical skills and still had to learn a ton to get this car finished. It's too bad the kid wrecked it shortly after.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgq07GxiEyE

I agree his 06' is a very clean Mustang. Maybe that Mustang is a testament to how high his standards are for a finished product? If so this car he's starting with is far from easy to restore into great condition. I know in my area parts in good condition are not easy nor inexpensive to find. I've been in over my head and kept a tally of my receipts and building/restoring a car from this condition is not for the timid nor small budget oriented unless he really is shooting for an average car. On the surface his 06' Mustang consists mainly of bolt on mods that most anybody can perform so I don't think that's a clear indication of having the mechanical know how to do an in depth restoration/build. The OP's mechanical knowledge has yet to be confirmed and I don't think this car is a suitable "beginners project".

Anyways, I'd like to hear from the OP on build plans, budget and mechanical know how before more assumptions are made.

I love Father and Son builds like what @Boosted92LX is doing and I encourage them. There is also this other F & S build that I follow on youtube and the Father has great mechanical skills and still had to learn a ton to get this car finished. It's too bad the kid wrecked it shortly after.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zgq07GxiEyE

Giving a teen a "twin turbo anything"...what possibly could go wrong?
I understand what noobz and everybody is saying but I'm with ya on this.

Oh and I wouldn't give a teenager the keys to anything like that build. Maybe when he was slightly older. I remember how I was and am lucky to be alive/didn't hurt anybody back then. Each there own.

Meh, I gutted, dyed, and reinstalled an interior over two weekends in a parking lot when I was at the NCO academy. lol

I had to pick up some cheap tools... Mostly dollar store crap, to do the removal, install, and wiring (it wasn't bad off, just a snip here and tuck there).

For some, the wiring is scary while for others, engine or body work is scary.

I don't do body work (although I probably could to some sacrilegious degree) but the wiring, motor, and interior on a project like this is simply a matter of following the directions of a couple of manuals and paint cans. :shrug:

The pics are kind of small but I don't see bloches of cancer on anywhere. One look underneath would tell you if the seat and floor pans are rusted through. Otherwise, bottom door seams and jambs are common places.

Naw just wondering if youre having regrets about your 2 cancelled projects and trajectory of the current one... no offense intended but you are being hard on this guy for no reason.

And where'd he go ?
No regrets but I'm a little butt hurt that my Notch didn't work out after all the hard work. I am happy where I'm currently at though and to be honest I'm very cautious moving forward with my winter plans for my current project. I don't think i'm being hard on the guy and it's not my intention to be that. Looking at the pictures and the title of thread created by the OP I'd say he's in over his head as the title suggests. However like I said, I know nothing of his mechanical skill, build goals, budget etc and I'm hoping he comes back and fills us in on some details.

Myself, just like Collin aka @hoopty5.0 , learned that these cars are not easy to bring back from the grave and sometimes financially are not worth it so we cut our losses, curb the project, and look for a better canvas to build on. Even just buying a clean near stock driver with intentions of restoring old parts and doing some modifications can be a huge ongoing task in itself. Maybe I'm wrong but I believe the consensus on Stangnet is that very few people that start projects like this one actually finish them. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 users
No regrets but I'm a little butt hurt that my Notch didn't work out after all the hard work. I am happy where I'm currently at though and to be honest I'm very cautious moving forward with my winter plans for my current project. I don't think i'm being hard on the guy and it's not my intention to be that. Looking at the pictures and the title of thread created by the OP I'd say he's in over his head as the title suggests. However like I said, I know nothing of his mechanical skill, build goals, budget etc and I'm hoping he comes back and fills us in on some details.

Myself, just like Collin aka @hoopty5.0 , learned that these cars are not easy to bring back from the grave and sometimes financially are not worth it so we cut our losses, curb the project, and look for a better canvas to build on. Even just buying a clean near stock driver with intentions of restoring old parts and doing some modifications can be a huge ongoing task in itself. Maybe I'm wrong but I believe the consensus on Stangnet is that very few people that start projects like this one actually finish them. :shrug:
Again..I agree. Maybe we should get a room together:whine: