I miss torque.

LilBerx

Jan 11, 2012
Logan, UT
I miss having bottom end torque.

0428F312_zps94940a83.jpg

Dynoed my bone stock 97 cobra. It has no torque.

Apparently the tuner said that it needs new wires too.

Just for fun.

I got a photo from a friend that shows the paint off.

Sorry I'm a picture whore.

4DB88115_zps7742c608.jpg

Yes that's my italian self in the white!

C6F5ECD1_zps68605e73.jpg

6835831B_zpse5b09d19.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Torque comes from cubic inches and 281 ci just ain't enough to make a lot of torque. That's why the mod motors' claim to fame is with boost or hi revs. They have very good flowing heads that can take advantage of it.

That white 99 I had for a split second was a stock motor with a Vortech S-trim. It made 460/460 at the wheels and still didn't have any nuts from a dig. Past 3k rpm, you'd feel like you were about to swallow your teeth though. Just a mod motor thing. Buy a blower for it and call it a day.

You want torque, you've got limited options. Your first and best choice would be adding the Kenne Bell twin screw kit to the mix. I'll find that missing torque curve you crave in a hurry.

Your other choice, is to gear it to the moon and add a centrifugal supercharger to it. It won't make any more torque down low, but a set of 4:10-4:30 gear will get you there in a hurry, so you won't miss it much.

Reactions: 1 user
You want torque, you've got limited options. Your first and best choice would be adding the Kenne Bell twin screw kit to the mix. I'll find that missing torque curve you crave in a hurry.

Your other choice, is to gear it to the moon and add a centrifugal supercharger to it. It won't make any more torque down low, but a set of 4:10-4:30 gear will get you there in a hurry, so you won't miss it much.
4.10's ftw!

ha ha torque is a beautiful thing!! one of the reasons why i love my car so much! i woudnt worry too much you got a superclean sweet looking cobra!!!! just try not to look for too many fights out on the highway

4.10's ftw!

Yup, certainly one option. I'm not a fan of the mileage hit, or buzzing the tach on the highway all the time though. I'd probably pony up the bucks for the Screw compressor.

Haha, welcome to NA 4.6 ownership. Your only real option is bewst, thus why Chebby guys are constantly breaking our balls.

Meh, I don't put much stock into that crowd. It's pretty hard to be taken seriously when breaking balls about a supercharger, when on the other hand these same guys are out bragging about handing it to a little 4.6L when they're packing 5.7L or better.

Meh, I don't put much stock into that crowd. It's pretty hard to be taken seriously when breaking balls about a supercharger, when on the other hand these same guys are out bragging about handing it to a little 4.6L when they're packing 5.7L or better.

Well yea, but I think that's the point. Part of being a Ford guy is giving up cubic inches.

It sucks that the "big" modulars are either rare, or have zero aftermarket support, or are super expensive, or some combination of those three. Even though I have a perfectly good W block sitting on my engine stand, my brain keeps circling back to the thought of stuffing a 5.4 in my car. Unfortunately your options there are run an anemic F150 engine, or pony up many thousands of dollars for a GT500 engine. What's sad is you can find LS 5.3s for half the price, practically falling out of trees, and with tons of aftermarket. Bleh.

*Goes back into dark corner, grumbling.*

sounds like the chevy guys i race with. we did a stock block, pump gas 10:1 flat tappet build off a while back. they had 3300lb car so they ran a 383 with dart heads. in the lx hatch we did a 358" clevor. on motor they ran 8.20s@87 in the 1/8 and the clevor went 6.80s@98. get back to the pits and all they kept saying was that we cheated because their combo was a turd. whatever.

Well yea, but I think that's the point. Part of being a Ford guy is giving up cubic inches.

It sucks that the "big" modulars are either rare, or have zero aftermarket support, or are super expensive, or some combination of those three. Even though I have a perfectly good W block sitting on my engine stand, my brain keeps circling back to the thought of stuffing a 5.4 in my car. Unfortunately your options there are run an anemic F150 engine, or pony up many thousands of dollars for a GT500 engine. What's sad is you can find LS 5.3s for half the price, practically falling out of trees, and with tons of aftermarket. Bleh.

*Goes back into dark corner, grumbling.*

Oh, I agree. The small cubes are what we were dealt....which is why power adders are really the only option. But I'd hardly call it cheating like the Bowtie crowd claims. My gripe is the LSX guys talking trash like their "LS-whatever makes more power because of design superiority, blah, blah". When in fact their formula is neither new, nor advanced. Big cubes + big heads + big intake = big power. You wanna impress me....make that power without all the cubes like Ford has done and continues to do.

Chevy has always enjoyed a healthy displacement advantage and as a result power advantage as well, going on 40-years now. 10-years ago, the '03 Cobra stepped up to the plate and changed all that. All of the sudden Ford "cheated" because they've got a supercharger. Let's totally disregard the fact that we were up to that point comparing a 281 to a 346+ though, right? It then got worse for Chevy, when in 2011 the Coyote is released and now makes the same power as their latest LS3 in with over 70ci less displacement. I actually had a Chevy guy tell me how Ford cheated because they used 4-cams instead of one. lol ......will it never end. :rolleyes:

As for the 5.4L route....you've got one more option. You could always go the 4V Navigator platform. With a set of cams and a few intake and exhaust mods it would put down some very respectable N/A numbers without commanding GT500 engine money. Not to mention look damn cool under the hood!

I dunno. Torque is fun but I don't get excited until the engine is screaming at WOT. Otherwise I'd probably be more into turbo diesel trucks.

I agree, but there has to be a balance....or we'd all go around praising Honda S2000's that made 240hp@8,000RPM, but about 11lbs ft/tq. :D

Ironically....diesels don't seem to make much torque at all right off idle. Gotta load that turbo up to make any power.....otherwise they come out of the hole like a moped.

Ironically....diesels don't seem to make much torque at all right off idle. Gotta load that turbo up to make any power.....otherwise they come out of the hole like a moped.

That's what most people think, and that's how it feels when you're trying to go fast. But whenever you hook a trailer to them, that's where you notice the low end torque. My dad has a 2000 Dodge 2500. Has 150 horse injectors, turbo off an 8 liter Cummins (definition of boost lag), and an Edge programmer. We put my cousins full size Chevy pick up on a nice sized car hauler trailer and I could put it in drive and not touch the gas and it still took off like it didn't have the extra 6000+ lbs behind it. Cummins have a lot of pulling power right off idle

Oh and you also gotta think, you're trying to jump off the line really fast with an 8000 lb truck :lol:

What's sad is you can find LS 5.3s for half the price, practically falling out of trees, and with tons of aftermarket. Bleh.
quote].

There's an LS aftermarket? I thought people just hung snails on the front of junkyard motors and ran 9 sec 1/4s tils they popped? Hmm.

My only gripe with building a ford motor is price. You can build a pushrod motor for fairly cheap, but then you run into block integrity. For a mod motor, the forced induction setup runs you several thousands to make any power. The sole reason I went the route I am going now is price. I got my motor complete for under a grand and for another grand I will be in the 6-700 hp range, maybe more. To do the same thing with a pushrod would yield pieces-o-pushrod and a mod motor would be half-built