I need foglights that wont melt!!!

Southern94Cobra

Aug 22, 2004
Tennessee
Well when I first got my car the original foglights were orange looking so I replaced them witht the diamond clear ones for cobras. I put some silverstar bulbs in them and they melted within a week. I ended up getting some more diamond foglights and putting regular bulbs in there and they have been fine for about 8 months or so until last week they both melted again. :(

So my question is does anybody make a good looking foglight that wont melt? :shrug: Or am I just stuck with the stockers. I loved it when the silverstars were in there, but that didnt last long.

• Sponsors (?)

Seems like I read somewhere that its the bulbs that cause it to melt, not the lens itself...some bulbs are longer than others and obvioulsy if it gets too close its going to melt.

I dont even use my foglights anymore cuz Im sick of replacing the bulbs every month.

I replaced my bulbs severl months ago with Sylvania bulbs from my local auto parts store, and my foglights haven't melted at all. Sylvania's site lists these bulbs as stock replacements:

893ST Silverstar High Performance Lighting

I put in the basic 893's, not the Silverstars.

893's? that might be my problem. Ram000 I dont know what you mean by factory rated bulb(as in by it from a dealer?), but the bulbs I have been using are only 27 watt wich is'nt very strong.

Since these diamond fog's have melted does anybody know where I can get another set without paying an arm and legg?

Low-5.0, what bulb # are your using? Just wondering cause if I do get new ones and run a 893 I dont want to be mad if it happens again.

Was looking at a newer explorer sport trac today ,and I wonder if the round fog lights in those would work on my car? Knowing my luck though they're probably more $$$ than the cobra ones. :rolleyes: I just want some good looking foglights that wont melt after a few months of use.

dont use those cheap blue bulbls they melt. if u want bright bulbs the silverstars do just fine yea they dont look as cool but they dont mess up your wiring happend to me and they dont mess up your lens's.

I guess thats why factory fogs sell for a good $ I sold mine on ebay with mounting brackets and bulbs in good shape, they went for $75.00ish used. I was expecting like $20 tops.