I need new muffler bearings

• Sponsors (?)

lol, Thanks for the help guys. I never knew it would turn into this big of a deal, but I knew some would poke alot of fun at me. The "bearings"(yes they are actually bearings) that were in there were "High temp" bearings from some cutout my f-body unlce had lying around. Anyway, I had my boss call around and timken will actually make one guaranteed to 2500 degrees. I didnt ask what the details on them were, but I will let you know when I get them :).

Anyway, glad some got a good laugh out of this one... and dont let my posts fool you into thinking that I think I know what I am doing... I havent a clue. I can tell you one thing tho... oops i forgot it

Michael Yount said:
Guys - give him a break. The 3000 GT's have a diverter valve in the exhaust that allows it to bypass the muffler allowing (theoretically) for more power and (actually) louder exhaust note. What he's saying is that the bearings or bushings that allow that diverter valve to pivot are failing due to heat. It's as close to an actual 'muffler bearing' as you can get.

And I have no idea what to replace it with -- glad you found a part. Personally, I'd do away with that feature altogether and run a custom, free-flowing exhaust system.

Thanks for the support. I would also love to see him do away with the stock system, however my friends dad had a killer nova back in 69(killer for its day) and all he ever talks about is how he wants his car to be a sleeper like his dads was.

Funny thing, we both used to be technicians at a local pontiac dealer that also sells mitsubishis. I bought me a 25th anniversary edition ws6, and he went for the all wheel drive 3000gt :Damnit: crapola . To each his own I guess

He mentions twin turbos earlier in the thread -- and I believe that only the turbo models (VR4's) came with the exhaust feature in question, but I could be wrong.

While the VR4's made serious HP for a 3.0L V6, they are quite heavy -- 3600-3700 lbs. So, 300HP in 36-3700 lb. car -- kind of makes 'em like a new Stang.

Jesus christ. The first couple jokes were funny but ****, get over it. My freind has a 3000GT. Its not as fast as mine, but he races it, has fun with it, and likes it. You guys(most) all sit here and make fun of the same stupid **** every time "honda" comes up. Are there ricer's out there? YES. Is everyone that owns an import a ricer? NO. I got an SHO, does that make me a ricer?

blake89stang said:
is it a 3000gt or a 3000gt VR4? There is big difference there!! 3000gt are 220 flywheel hp w/ FWD and 3000gt VR4 are 300 flywheels hp w/ AWD.

Sorry, It is a vr4. The car is pretty quick for being so heavy as mr. Yount pointed out. However it only really pulls between 4000 and 6000 rpm. If we are between those rpm my friends car would keep up with my T/A, but once he had to shift it wasnt even close. BTW both of those cars would eat both of my mustangs for lunch. So I quite a promising job in the automotive world to go back to school... patience is a virtue... im about sick of being virtuous:Damnit: :bang: :bang:

but in the end i will be like... check out my car :D :D :D :hail2: :D :D :D

87GT 306 said:
Jesus christ. The first couple jokes were funny but ****, get over it. My freind has a 3000GT. Its not as fast as mine, but he races it, has fun with it, and likes it. You guys(most) all sit here and make fun of the same stupid **** every time "honda" comes up. Are there ricer's out there? YES. Is everyone that owns an import a ricer? NO. I got an SHO, does that make me a ricer?
Calm down Mr. PMS. Just having fun. Dont hurt to pick on the ricer(AKA:teenage punks w/ anoying fart pipes!!) group. What do u think they do in thier threads when the hear about T/A, camaros, and mustangs? They pick to.
I dont think the SHO's are any thing near rice. I consider them normaly quick family cars:nice:

That's the thing about 'rice' - it's just a label applied pretty arbitrarily -- mainly by folks who are insecure about their own rides at some level.

Let's see -- SHO -- engine by Yamaha, so according to the standard set by the early poster (by his standard my Volvo is 'rice' - go figure), with an 'imported' engine - you're at least part rice. :) And there's a connection -- Volvo recently came out with their first V8 ever. 4.2L DOHC 60 degree V8 - 311HP; it's designed/built by Yamaha and is a derivation of the 3.4L 60-degree V8 that came in the 2nd gen SHO's. Since Ford owns Volvo cars -- they provided the connection to Yamaha. I guess that's Swedish 'rice' or something.

Michael always knows these little tidbits of automotive history that not many of us have not heard of. Thats why I like reading these things. You learn something new every day. :SNSign:

When I hear the term "Muffler Bearing" I first think of Chevy Chase in the movie Fletch. :rlaugh:

Anyway, all this talking about rice is making me hungry.

Michael Yount said:
That's the thing about 'rice' - it's just a label applied pretty arbitrarily -- mainly by folks who are insecure about their own rides at some level.

Let's see -- SHO -- engine by Yamaha, so according to the standard set by the early poster (by his standard my Volvo is 'rice' - go figure), with an 'imported' engine - you're at least part rice. :) And there's a connection -- Volvo recently came out with their first V8 ever. 4.2L DOHC 60 degree V8 - 311HP; it's designed/built by Yamaha and is a derivation of the 3.4L 60-degree V8 that came in the 2nd gen SHO's. Since Ford owns Volvo cars -- they provided the connection to Yamaha. I guess that's Swedish 'rice' or something.
Why a 60 degree V8? That makes for a narrow, tall engine with an uneven firing order since 360/8 = 45, not 60. To get an even firing order you need a even multiple of 45. I would like to know, since it obiviously works well.

Rice Rice Baby
Rice, Rice, Baby!
Yo, VTEC, lets kick it,
Rice Rice Baby, Rice Rice Baby...
Alright stop - collaborate and listen,
Rice is back with a brand new invention.
Chopped springs, they hug tha road tightly,
6 inch exhaust tip flows really loud nightly.
Will it ever stop, yo,
I don't know,
hit my neon lights and I'll glow.
To tha extreme my car looks like a candle,
and tha paint job - it was done by a vandal.
Dance, I got a speaker that booms,
this aint a car, it's a mobile sound room.
Deadly,
listen to tha melody,
if it was louder yo, it'd be a felony.
Love it or leave it you can't gain way,
with my Type-R sticker I'll lose you any day.
If there was a problem yo I'll solve it, check out
my rims while my front drive revolves it,
Now that my suspension is jumpin',
my bumber hits tha ground, but who cares I'm a thumpin.
Quick to tha point, to tha point no fakin',
cookin' mopeds like a pound of bacon.
Burning 'em, cause I'm quick and nimble,
you can't fade me and my VTEC symbol.
In your souped up GN or 5.0...
I'm on a roll,
I always ride solo.
Rollin', in my 2 point 0,
it runs low 18's, yo, that really ain't slow.
Tha girlies on stand by,
don't even want to say "Hi".
Did ya stop? No, I just flew by.
Kept on, pursuing to tha next block,
I bust a left and I'm headin' to tha next stop.
The block was dead, yo, so I continued to A-1-A,
Detroit Avenue!
Tha girls looked hot wearing less than bikinis, I
saw a few chumps drivin' stock Lamborghinis.
Jealous, cause I'm out drivin' mine,
ready to race 'cuz my Nittos lookin' fine.
If there was a problem, yo I'll solve it,
check out my rims while my front drive revolves it,
Take heed, 'cause I'm a Honda poet,
Akimoto's on tha scene just in case ya didn't know it.
My exhaust tip, created all tha bass sound,
rumbles enough to put holes in tha ground.
'Cause my ride's style is so reeeeeeeeeeeeal, with
an exhaust tone that ya can feeeeeeeel.
4 foot spoiler, it's a helluva concept, my ride is
hype, and you wanna step
WITH THIS.
In my rearview you'll fade,
slice like a Ginsu -sounds like a Kitchen-Aid.
So fast, that all tha V8's say "damn", if rice was
a drug I'd sell it by tha gram.
Keep my composure when the front tire breaks loose,
magnetized by the kick of 30 horse juice.
If there was a problem, yo I'll solve it,
check out my rims while my front drive revolves it,
Yo, we outta here...
E-Brake burnouts to your mother!