I notified my insurance that i own a GT now rather than a V6...

Linz

"I Love Seamen"
Founding Member
Jul 24, 2001
Northern Virginia
and the results were great!
The price difference from me owning a 2001 V6 to a 2004 GT is only 200 bucks more every year. So I'm not gonna believe people when they say that insurance is a major factor when they buy a V6 vs. a v8. :p
Now I have 3 V8s on my policy. My insurance person is like I guess you like power :D I said "damn right!" :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

When i went from a 1990 2.3L to a 1988 5.0L, my insurance only went up $200/year. I was 17 at the time.

Of course it's gonna be different for everybody depending on where you live, number of tickets you have and other factors. Someone living in New Jersey is going to pay out their ass vs someone living in Montana.

Linz said:
and the results were great!
The price difference from me owning a 2001 V6 to a 2004 GT is only 200 bucks more every year. So I'm not gonna believe people when they say that insurance is a major factor when they buy a V6 vs. a v8. :p
Now I have 3 V8s on my policy. My insurance person is like I guess you like power :D I said "damn right!" :flag:
Maybe it's only that much because you already have two V8's insured.

98StangRidah said:

Easy way to keep insurance down. Keep the newest(usually not paid off) car on the policy as a "recreational" car. This way the insurance company has it on your policy, but since they ASSUME(they're f-up in your favor) that the car will see less time on the road than the cars listed as primary drivers, the
insurance will not be as much.

In LinZ's case, an '88 5.0 that averages around $4k-$5k, and should be paid off, is gonna be a cheaper primary vehicle than a brand new GT that doesn't even belong to her yet.

Of course, she could've also paid cash for the '04, and listed an ungodly amount of money as her deductible, which would also drop her payments.

Either way, it's unfair to say V6 owners are full of crap about insurance prices. Especially when most of the ones here only have one car.

98StangRidah said:

That's one part of it, considering if you have a v8 or two in her case already insured on the policy, your v6 is going to be higher. esp. since the newer one is the v6 they see you have two older v8's and that is seen as a racing car by most insurance companies, a v6 is seen as somewhat sporty but an around town car. when you have two v8's it is bumped up to a catagory below racing i dont remember this guy explained it all to me once. plus as i said you are missing a vital organ that raises insurance rates for millions of people, lol.

[QUOTE='66 coupe]Easy way to keep insurance down. Keep the newest(usually not paid off) car on the policy as a "recreational" car. This way the insurance company has it on your policy, but since they ASSUME(they're f-up in your favor) that the car will see less time on the road than the cars listed as primary drivers, the
insurance will not be as much.

In LinZ's case, an '88 5.0 that averages around $4k-$5k, and should be paid off, is gonna be a cheaper primary vehicle than a brand new GT that doesn't even belong to her yet.

Of course, she could've also paid cash for the '04, and listed an ungodly amount of money as her deductible, which would also drop her payments.

Either way, it's unfair to say V6 owners are full of crap about insurance prices. Especially when most of the ones here only have one car.[/QUOTE]

As far as my title says on my 5.0, I apparantly payed 1000 bucks for my car... therefore 3 years later making my car according to my insurance company is worth 500 bucks. Somehow that makes my 5.0 payment on insurance about 20 bucks a month IF that:D
The GT isnt payed off and neither is the truck.. I have 900 doller a month car payments... 500 for the truck 400 for the mustang.
My deductable for my insurance company is $100 bucks. :nice:

What does your policy say for usage on the '04?

I'm on my parents' policy still, and the usage on my '01 is listed as "pleasure" on the policy. Basically, it was around $100 a month for me and '66 to be added to the policy(I was 16). Then I got the '01 for college. I was 17 at the time and the estimates were $225 per month on the '01 alone. So my dad's agent told him to list the '01 as a pleasure car and keep the '66 as my primary. Now it's $150 a month for me and both Mustangs to be on the policy. :nice:

EDIT: Also, who is you insurance company, just out of curiosity?

when you have two v8's it is bumped up to a catagory below racing i dont remember this guy explained it all to me once.

So do you think my dad's '01 Grand Marquis bumped my car? :shrug: :jester:

The insurance bump from a 5.0 to a new stang wasn't too much for me.

If i remember, i was 1300/year for my '88 5.0 and 1900/year for my '03 GT. Both are full coverage with 500 deductable. Both cars are paid off :)

I am 23, live in Boston and am the cheapest insurance step possible. My 19 year old sister is looking at a 03/04 V6 Convertible....2200/year :(

The 04 is listed as the daily driver, however, the truck REALLY is. Its more expensive to have the truck listed as the main vehicle. The 5.0 is so cheap, cuz when they asked how much I drive it per month, I said 50 miles IF that. And thats actually true...I never drive it, its more of a driveway ornament that goes down the 1/4 alot :) Truck is listed for towing/hauling vehicle which is also true cuz I haul the horses and the cars around when needed.

Also.. I use USAA

The reason insurance payments are so high now has very little to do with the cost of your vehicle.

The rates are so high now because of ungodly settlement payments for injury. It doesn't matter if you're driving a car only worth $1000, you can still hit someone in it, and have them sue you for a million. Even better, you can hit someone in it, and YOU can sue the insurance company for a million. God bless America.

Not saying the insurance companies are victims in all this. They make their fair penny. But having a car that only cost you $1000 doesn't mean jack **** to an insurance company when you're a 20 year old male. All they see is 'V8', and they start thinking about how fast you can go, and how quickly you can mame someone.

The 04 is listed as the daily driver, however, the truck REALLY is. Its more expensive to have the truck listed as the main vehicle. The 5.0 is so cheap, cuz when they asked how much I drive it per month, I said 50 miles IF that. And thats actually true...I never drive it, its more of a driveway ornament that goes down the 1/4 alot :) Truck is listed for towing/hauling vehicle which is also true cuz I haul the horses and the cars around when needed.

Also.. I use USAA

Some of the contributing factors that insurance companies consider for determining rates:

• Type of coverage (comprehensive/liability)
  • Deductable amount
  • Year/make/cost of vehicle and repair costs associated with it
  • Safety features
  • Previously insured driver (years driving - experience)
  • Horsepower rating
  • Age/sex
  • Primary use of vehicle/distance to work/school
  • Primary driver versus authorized user on someone else's insurance policy
  • Location of insured (State/city)
  • Prior convictions and types

Other things may be factors as well:

• Certain states consider ANY red car to be classified as a sports/performance car (WTF!)
  • Living with the primary insurer if an authorized user
  • Years driving/good driver rating
  • Driver's ed. or "driving school"
  • Student or working slob
  • Other policies held with the same insurance company
  • Daytime running lights
  • Automatic safety belt system
  • Engine size - to some extent
  • Condition of vehicle insured
  • Miles driven to/from school/work daily
  • Whether you go to a school where you live if more than 100 miles from home of record
  • Changes made to the vehicle

Ha, I've been hit 11 times now - the key words being "been hit" - The last one was near fatal. My Mustang had nothing to do with the sevarity of the accident, as I was going about 10 miles per hour just leaving a light -

-According to witnesses at the scene I was "barraling down the road"
-The paper claimed I hit the truck.

The driver of the truck that hit me admitted fault for running a red turning left into oncoming tracfic.

The insurace cos would totaly ignore the last part and that's what we pay for.

Pretty ugly

Z.

thats one nasty crash, nice to see you lived through it, looks like you could salvage... that rear wheel! which i notice is very different than the front...
like, they're converted to 5-lug (i assume) but the backs look like the older style rim? w/e lol