I put my dog to sleep

juiced_94gt

Mar 30, 2005
Southern California
Well as you all know my dog was very sick, it turns out that he had a stroke, and had developed skin cancer, I just came back from the vet and to tell you the truth, even though i was kicking myself in the ass for doing it, i think it was for the better, he was very disoriented and would not even go in his dog house anymore, it's been very windy and cold here in south cali and my mom would not put him in the house, he was 14 years old and i think i feel better knowing that he's no longer suffering, i was in there the whole time and yes i cried, i had him all his life, hes going to be cremated so he will always be with me. Here's a couple of pictures of him, thank you guys for all your past posts to help me out.
R.I.P Coki

View attachment 419501

View attachment 419503

• Sponsors (?)

I had a dog that was about 15 years old and had fatty tumors that were restricting her breathing, so we had to put her down. It sucked but I guess its better. We might have to put my dads pitbull down soon becasue his stomach keeps filling with fluid and we have to drain it like every 2 weeks.

Sorry about your dog.

RIP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,dont feel like an ass............if the animal was suffering you did the right thing...............hell...I've already had the talk with the family...If I get too bad....PUT ME DOWN....................

hey man, if he had someone who cared as much as you apparently do, he had a great life, so feel good that you did what was best for him when he most needed it..

Rest in Peace Coki :nice:

You did do what was best for him. Imagine being in your 90's, disoriented, with tumors...wouldn't you want a friend to put you down. I am getting weary about my rotty and he is just ten, but starting to get hip problems and cataracts. I know the time will come in the next couple of years, and its going to hurt too, but I know that it would be right.

You did do what was best for him. Imagine being in your 90's, disoriented, with tumors...wouldn't you want a friend to put you down. I am getting weary about my rotty and he is just ten, but starting to get hip problems and cataracts. I know the time will come in the next couple of years, and its going to hurt too, but I know that it would be right.

For cataracts give him: Neomycin & polymyxin B sulfates and Dexamethasone ophthalmic suspension USP 5mL sory it's a long name but it's what it says on the bottle, it did wonders for his eyes!!! and for his joints give him Rymadyl 75mg, that also did wonders for his hip and joint problems, and is kinda cheap too, the eye drops are 15 bucks and lasts about a month, and the rymadyl is about a dollar a pill and they only take one a day.

i had a collie when i was a kid. i loved her terribly. one spring our family went away for a week and a family friend was supposed to be taking care of her. well apparently this "friend" left her outside one night and that happened to be a very cold night with frost, and candy died.

i was so broken up about it, and to this day, some 35 years later, i still think about her and wish i could have been there at the end. it is a terrible feeling thinking that maybe i took her for granted more than i should have and that i could have shown her more love while she was alive.

that taught me to love my dog (his name is jack) as though every day is his (or my) last.

life is too fragile to waste it with anger and petty stupid crap.

i feel for you man. it sucks but it was for the best.

two years ago we had to put down my 14 yr. old cocker spaniel for kidney failure. he just wasn't himself anymore, all he would do was sleep, wouldn't eat, could barely go up the stairs anymore he was so weak. we tried to make it last by giving him 1 ml electolyte drips twice a day for about 3 weeks, but in the end it was best to just put him down. whole family was a mess for weeks. i had picked him out when he was a puppy out of a litter of 11. we pretty much grew up together...

also had him cremated. he's sitting on top of the fireplace mantel front and center. like they say though, nothing gets you over the last one like the next one. or ones in my case, we ended up getting two cocker puppies then.

nothing gets you over the last one like the next one. or ones in my case, we ended up getting two cocker puppies then.

I can't emphasize this point too much. At first it may feel like you're betraying your old companion, but chances are, especially if you get the same breed, you're going to see a lot of your old dog in your new one. I feel like my new scottish terrier is almost a reincarnate of my old dog, except wiser and stronger.

That sucks!!! You did the right thing. My dog runaway from a house my dad was building while my parents stayed there to!!! I felt bad for him cuz he was a very loving pitbull. Now we have another my brother found at the park that seemed to be abused pretty badly. Broken leg, cuts everywere, and skinny as hell!!! Damn people!!!!!!!! My bro gave him something to eat and the dog followed him home, my mom felt bad and kept him. Now he has been the best dog we had. Hes so playful, and loves to be around you. And at night he seems to be doing his job!!!

sorry for your lose....when i was younger i had to have the dog pound come and get my dog and put him to sleep....he attacked my father.....my dad was trying play with him (while he was drunk) and touched the dogs feet and he just ripped into my father(i was at work but my uncle was around thank god).....so the next day i had to put into the truck to be taken away....was one of the hardest things i ever had to do....thats why with my current dogs i make sure they know not to attack my kids or ect...hell my rott tries to get in between me and the kids when they get in trouble it really pisses me off :nono: but i'm glad he tries to protect them....:nice:

Sorry for you loss and yes, you did the right thing.

I had to put my 17 year old Golden Retreiver down about 3 years ago and it was very difficult to do so, but it had to be done. We've had the same vet for quite a while, so we had every confidence in the vet when she gave us the news.

My wife and I have two dogs now and she's mentioned a few times how devastating it will be when they pass on. Fortunately, that shouldn't be for a few more years.

RIP