I quit WALMART WOOT WOOT!!!!!!!!!

• Sponsors (?)

Sigh. Vietnam and Europe were just made up examples just to illustrate the point, they themselves were not the point...

I am not knocking trades, people in them who are certified to do what they do, have the ability to satisfy a lot of demands for their skills and make very respectable amounts of money doing it.

The point is, there is no such thing as "useless" or "wasted" education, especially when you have a degree to go along with it. For every step you succeed in, from a high school diploma, to a bachelor's degree, to an MBA, to a doctorate, there is a huge pay scale difference for 99% of people who use their degree. If someone with a B.A. in history works as an electrician, he probably won't, after all, make any more money then the guy next to him because that B.A. is not applicable to the job.

If, on the other hand, you have an MBA in financing, and you work for a financing arm of a large company or corporation, there may be no foreseeable limit to how much you can make.

I can see your point. I just think that many people major in things that will not actually get them a better paying job. Yes they are educated but unless there are jobs in the field you are being educated in then it is kinda silly to me. Yes i know many are not motivated by money and perhaps educating themselves is somethey enjoy doing (like me and playing with my stang). Thats great. I wish however that people took more time to look into how there education is going to help them in the future or how it could help others in the future. Be smart about it is all. Thats why right now it would be smart to learn a trade. Thats kinda how I see things. I'm not really motivated by money at all. I'm motivated by my family. I have a oving beautiful wife and 2 young daughters. I want to be able to provide for them. Right now what I am doing allows my wife to look after our children and put food on the table and a roof over our heads. It works. I guess I came on to strong with my opinion. No doubt you have a BA or a Masters in something and I was not attacking you. Perhaps you are even a teacher and what you did also worked for you and your family. As I went through High School the University route in life was pushed very hard. A lot of smart students went that route. Many from my grad class didn't get any further ahead by going that route. Some did. I just wouldn't want someone to make a mistake in thinking thats what they have to do whenb there are many other options out there. Personally I do believe taht people should stay in school and graduate. It is very silly to think that in todays age that you will be able to make a decent wage without some sort of education.

Oh yeah right... their honors college is sending me all sorts of stuff to go there, plus my dad went there and he makes ALOT of money, but he also went to 3 other schools and has 4 degrees total. He's a beast what can he say?

how does a dad of that education allow his son to drop out and work at wal-mart? I would say you need to follow in your fathers foot steps a little closer.

I had 7, count em SEVEN gay bosses/managers.

I'll call them by the first letter of their names:
A,S,S,C,M,J,T
Those are their initials, one of them(J) has full blown AIDS and they all suck!!!!!!!!

As silly of a place to get this thought from.....this actually helped me a while back....

In the movie Office Space, one of the themes repeated was "If you had a million dollars, what would you do with your time?". Whatever the answer, you should find a line of work that falls into it.

I had been working in retail management for years....pretty much retail since I was 15. My first though was that if I was rich enough to not have to work, I would spend my time fixing cars or building cars. So I started looking in the automotive field for a career....and I was in my late 20s at the time. I ended up being lucky enough to know someone who was a parts manager for a Lincoln Mercury dealer, and he got me in and started teaching me the counter.

I am now 33 and work the shop counter at a Ford dealership. Basically I am the parts guy for the technicians. When they need parts, they come to me. I LOVE my job. Everyday I am thankful for my job. It had taught me so much about cars, I have a Ford shop at my disposal, along with all the tools, lifts, and technicians to help me. I get my parts for cheap, and I have a great time everyday....plus I make an awesome salary. Enough to have been able to build my car, and my Wife stays home to raise my daughter.

So figure out what you really want to do, then find a way to get into that field. When you love your job, you really do enjoy going to work. 40 hours a week is a lot of time spending doing something you don't like. It is a great feeling not hating to go to work.

Funny you say that; I'm watching it right now and just a couple minutes ago they went over that thought.

Wouldn't work for me though. If I had a million dollars I'd spend a lot of times w/cars but I sure as hell wouldn't want to make it my life :shrug: I know others have to be the same!

Go to college if you think that will make you happy. Learn a trade if you want to work with your hands. A union job will be much more secure than middle management at Titanicorps Inc., and probably much more rewarding and challenging, as you've already indicated you want to work with your hands. Railroading is exploding in the US right now, if you can weld you can write a good ticket also, lots of things. Just do what you like, cause you've got a unique opportunity. Unless you like the phrase "do you want fries with that?" Don't do something because someone on Stangnet, or anywhere else said you'll get rich quick. Doesn't exist. The people I work for in road construction have degrees, are at work before me, answering three different phones, putting out fires all day, and at work after I've gone to coach football for my stepson, play hockey at the arena, taken my daughter to horseback riding, or climbed under the 5.0. If they made more than me, I could see it. If they had better insurance, more stability, it would make sense. They don't, but they like what they do. Don't get caught in the "I hate my life" trap, you'll only get the one.

Funny you say that; I'm watching it right now and just a couple minutes ago they went over that thought.

Wouldn't work for me though. If I had a million dollars I'd spend a lot of times w/cars but I sure as hell wouldn't want to make it my life :shrug: I know others have to be the same!

I'd spend all my money doin two chicks at the same time........ hey, maybe I should get into ****.

lol

Yeah, I'm 17 and now know what happens when ppl don't go to college/finish HS. I am planning on going to Alabama!!

Who said I dropped out??? I worked at Wally world 4 days a weeks and I am currently an honors student at my HS, I got a 2100 on the new SAT!!!

Sorry mate. From the first quote when you said you now know what happens to people when they don't go to college or finish High School i thought you were talking about yourself. My mistake.

I am currently attending Iowa State University, and I would agree that all of my classes are a huge waste of money, BUT, that little expensive piece of paper that says I can learn at a higher level is the only thing that matters in the end. Trade schools, well, you make bank right away but I would predict a plateau based on what guys say that went to trade schools and work at John Deere ( I know its only one company.)

I am currently attending Iowa State University, and I would agree that all of my classes are a huge waste of money, BUT, that little expensive piece of paper that says I can learn at a higher level is the only thing that matters in the end. Trade schools, well, you make bank right away but I would predict a plateau based on what guys say that went to trade schools and work at John Deere ( I know its only one company.)

Yes that expensive piece of paper counts a great deal in this day and age of employment. However, what I value much more than that piece of paper is my happiness and self-respect.

Until very recently, I really had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. I have always been very blessed and things have always come easy to me. I graduated at the top of my class in high school, nabbed a 1580 on the (old) SAT, and floated my way through 2 years of college at the University of Florida without ever having to think harder than Paris Hilton. All this ease had just bred complacency and mental laziness. If I had ever actually given thought to the direction my life was headed and how I felt about the destination, who knows where I would be right now? A few weeks ago I actually sat down and thought really hard about what I would do if I could do anything in the world (mostly inspired by this wonderful drunken craigslist rant) Surprisingly (but somehow not surprisingly), I realized that I don't need to go to college to do any of the things I really want to do! And I most certainly do not need a piece of paper from the University of Florida to prove to myself or anybody else that I am capable of doing them! Better late than never, right? ;)

Long story short, I dropped out of UF a few weeks ago (on good terms) and and am happier I did it every single day that passes.

Obviously, saying to hell with college is not the answer for everybody. There is absolutely nothing wrong with going to college if that is a step towards doing what you want! If I wanted to become a doctor, lawyer, accountant, work my way up a corporate ladder, or just get any degree as soon as possible so I could immediately begin working anywhere for 40 hours a week while banking a college degree salary, I would have no objection to spending however long I needed to spend chasing that piece of paper.

Ultimately, the most important thing in this life is your happiness. Does cleaning up toilets make you happy? Probably not! However, if you are willing to sacrifice your dreams (again assuming that you don't dream about becoming a janitor) to take out trash and clean public restrooms in exchange for that steady paycheck, that is your choice!

Just realize that it is never too late (or too early) to do what you want! Actually, forget that -- do what you NEED!! Do what you couldn't live without doing. Do what you would DIE to do! Don't plan your life around your salary. Plan your life around your passion! Some may think I'm just being an idealist, but I would rather die young, broke, and happily chasing my dreams than live a long, unfulfilled life with billions in the bank and always asking, "What if?"