I.R.S. in '67 Complete!

reenmachine

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Jun 27, 2004
San Diego, CA
I.R.S. in '67 Complete! (+ other pics)

Check it out -- just got it done yesterday. I've got a set of coilovers for it; the temporary links where the shocks go simulate loaded ride height.

What do you think?

-Pete

IRS_done_peek.jpg

Attachments

• IRS_done_peek.jpg
    IRS_done_peek.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 42
  • Sponsors (?)

reenmachine said:
I can't give away all my tricks now, can I? :D

There are no tricks in this business anymore. One person at a car show can see it and go home and reproduce it if he has the resources. This is one reason that patents are useless in this business for the most part. If you are gonna brag Pete you need to show us the goods!!!!!!

BTW, the kind of people who could look at a picture and make something similar for themselves are not your customers anyway. Those who can do....don't purchase.

Ronstang said:
If you are gonna brag Pete you need to show us the goods!!!!!!

I hope it didn't seem like I was bragging -- just thought you guys would like to see.

BTW, the kind of people who could look at a picture and make something similar for themselves are not your customers anyway. Those who can do....don't purchase.

You're exactly right.

chassis_done_rear.jpg

thats really nice and i applaud your abilities, but i think its gonna look goofy at the back with the brake rotors inward of the spindles. i mean isnt that the point of big rims? to show off your sexy brakes? :D

also, forgive my ignorance about IRS but is the halfshaft acting as the upper control arm too? if so thats pretty nifty.

3spd on floor said:
thats really nice and i applaud your abilities, but i think its gonna look goofy at the back with the brake rotors inward of the spindles. i mean isnt that the point of big rims? to show off your sexy brakes?

also, forgive my ignorance about IRS but is the halfshaft acting as the upper control arm too? if so thats pretty nifty.
Yeah, I'm curious to see what it looks like with the final wheels on. I'm planning to use 17" late model Mach 1 wheels, so it may look a bit empty in there. The brakes get better cooling airflow inboard like that though, and the real advantage is in the drastic decrease in unsprung weight.

Also, you're correct in noticing that the halfshaft acts as the upper control arm as well.

GT2K said:
Interesting... looks like a pretty tall setup though?
Do you mean with respect to ride height? I set it up to be about at stock ride height, which is appropriate for the car I'm building. The rear shocks are adjustable coilovers, so I can lower it that way to a certain degree as well.

Ground clearance?

I came pretty close to doing an IRS in my fastback but hate the dreaded wheel hop that comes with it. Ha probably will even be getting rid of my 4.6 motor in it also.(someone's giving me a car for it which I can sell for far more than the motor and get an even better one woo hoo!)

Anyways looks like an interesting set up jag sort off or the heidts independent rear kit for their street rods.