I rebuilt my entire engine and...

lman657

Aug 31, 2003
Hey guys,

Anyways, I've been running the engine i rebuilt for almost a thousand miles, runs great.

So, I notice some extra accessory noise tonight, and pull the hood up.

It turns out that, although i put an entire engine back together without fault, I can't seem to tighten the bolt on IDLER PULLEY!

The sucker must have come off, and the bolt with it. The belt still had tension, just the backing of the belt was wearing off, sending rubber shards everywhere.

Anyways, I thought it ironic how such a large thing goes perfectly, yet such a petty thing goes kaput! I'm in the market for a pulley and bolt now.

I was going to take a 5 hour trip with it tomorrow, good thing I noticed before I lost a belt on the way.

Sidenote! My custom chip comes next week! Dead Star will be done, and it will idle without stalling. sweet.

Later,
Lance

• Sponsors (?)

lman657 said:
Hey guys,

Anyways, I've been running the engine i rebuilt for almost a thousand miles, runs great.

So, I notice some extra accessory noise tonight, and pull the hood up.

It turns out that, although i put an entire engine back together without fault, I can't seem to tighten the bolt on IDLER PULLEY!

The sucker must have come off, and the bolt with it. The belt still had tension, just the backing of the belt was wearing off, sending rubber shards everywhere.

Anyways, I thought it ironic how such a large thing goes perfectly, yet such a petty thing goes kaput! I'm in the market for a pulley and bolt now.

I was going to take a 5 hour trip with it tomorrow, good thing I noticed before I lost a belt on the way.

Sidenote! My custom chip comes next week! Dead Star will be done, and it will idle without stalling. sweet.

Later,
Lance
Hey Lance,
I have a 98 and i have build a couple of older engines, but nothing modular. My 98 has 84K on it, and i think i would like to do a head/cams/headers/intake job on it. Am i getting in too deep doing it myself? How hard is it to get the big plate on the front of the engine off and get to the actual headgasket area, waterpump, etc? I look at my engine, and i feel overwhelmed over how different it is than the 5.0 pushrodder i built.
Did you do anything to your bottom end, or leave it stock? With my milage should i consider opening up the bottom?
Thanks
John