I still can't decide!

Blue Notch

Dec 5, 2006
MN
Hi, I'm still having trouble deciding on which muffler to get. I can't decide between the Dynomax turbo, flowmaster 40 series, and I've also heard of people using cherry bomb glasspacks. Which one of the three helps with power the most, which is the least fartcan-sounding, and which would be the best with both factors included. Sorry if I'm confusing you, I'm confusing myself!:D And I know this is a stupid question, but I'll be brave and ask it anyways; Do they bolt right up, or will there have to be modifications made? I'm still learning, and would really, really appretiate your help! And one more question, I've read about people removing their catylic converters and replacing them with a regular pipe. Would this be a good idea, or should I go with a high-flow cat? (and no, I don't have to worry about testing) THANKS A TON!! :)

• Sponsors (?)

It's all personal preference for the mufflers. Glasspacks would be the cheapest so you may want to consider one of them. I doubt the difference in power between the 3 you mentioned is noticable.
I have a Dynomax Super Turbo muffler (+ a header and high flow cat so your results may sound different) ...

I'll post a different video tomorrow or Monday to give you a better idea.
Stock exhaust is 2 inches wide so unless you can find a 2 inch muffler, it will not bolt right up and you'll need some kind of adapter.
If you do not have to worry about emissions testing the best thing to do is run 2.25" or 2.5" from the header back ... this way you could just get a stock GT tailpipe at a junkyard (2.25") for a cheap price and even use the muffler from the GT as well until you decide on which muffler you want.

Thanks for the reply! Your Stang sounds REALLY good for a 4cyl!! I was looking at the glasspacks on cherry bomb's website and they had several for 2": http://www.cherrybomb.com/glasspacks-front.html
I'm not sure which one will fit considering the other dimensions. I'm thinking (currently lol) that I'll try to find a high-flow cat, and a glasspack; if it'll fit. Really looking forward to another video! Thanks again! :)

I've heard that they sound pretty good. Man, who knew picking a muffler could be so comlplicated! :D The current "dream" plan is is to go to an exaust shop and have them fit a header (still don't know which one), some kind of muffler, and a better looking tailpipe. I know you said I should wait for a turbo, but that ain't happening for awhile! Probably not for at least 5 years. Do you think I should get a ranger header out of a junkyard or something, or go with one from somewhere else. I think I can find a different tailpipe, or tip and have them fit it properly. I guess I'll just have to close my eyes and pick a name out of a hat for the muffler. Now, all I need now is some money lol!

The cheap alternative is to just get a cherry bomb glasspack and have a shop put it on for me. I've honestly gone nuts trying to figure this out. Why can't someone just make a kit for us N/As!!! There sure seem to be enough of us out here lol.

Ok, maybe I'll just scratch the glasspacks then! Guess I'll have to find an exhaust shop to put on a new header, and a flowmaster (or maybe two after I hear Red_LX's)! I measured my exhaust today, and it is a stinking 2"! :( Guess I'll need to put some extra hours in at work. Thanks for all your help! :)

Red_LX: PM sent!

No, I believed you, I just thought I heard somewhere else that it was anywhere from 2-2.25".

I completely understand! I can wait, really looking forward to seeing them though!! Thanks