I suggest everyone with a T-45 reads this

Smokin35s

Dec 8, 2002
So, if you remember I broke my T-45 in my 99 Cobra. To see what is wrong do a search in the SVT forums. Well I took it out and it sucked bad (top starter bolt and top passenger side bellhousing bolt) but I got it out. To bring it to a shop it would be around $500-$600 to fix it and my other option would be to go pick one up from a fellow stangnet member in Chicago for $300 which was a great deal. However being a broke azz college student those options were hard to reach. So I decided to crack it open and see if I could do anything in my garage. When I took off my back cover there was a broken piece on the magnet but I couldnt see where it came from. Then I took off the front cover and sure enough the little shift plate that moves the 3/4 shift fork on the shifter rail was broken. So after looking it over for a long time I figured the only way to get it off would be to take off all the gears pull that rail out and get that piece and I didnt want that headache, so I brought it to the shop. The shop told me that the piece was $150 and the labor was $400 even after I took a lot of it apart . I didnt believe it so I went to Ford and the part was only $7 so I ordered one and brought the tranny to my garage again. After looking it over some more I found the roll pin that holds all the pieces together on the rail, so i shifted it around and eventually got the pin pointed up, drilled a nice size hole in the case, punched the pin out, took out the broken piece, put in the new shift plate, tapped the hole, got a new drain plug like the one on the side of the tranny, put it in and now it works great!!! All for $7 bucks!!! I dont know if ya got all that but I can answer any questions. Also if anyone takes out that tranny cut off the two ears on the bell housing top, it makes life a lot easier.
Just a heads up,
Justin

• Sponsors (?)

Congrads Smokin35s! Nice job of somehow fixing it yourself and avoiding getting ripped off.

Tranny shops often take people to the cleaners. I should have started a tranny shop instead of going to college. A guy I know who owns one has a huge house and 7 classic Corvettes.