I think I found my problem

mustang70

Founding Member
Nov 15, 2001
San Diego
Depending on whether or not you guys agree that is. I've been trying to figure out how to wire up the 5x7's in my system for the last couple of weeks. All I've had since I bought the car was the tweeters. Nothing else has worked. I finally picked up the right harness today from Walmart. Wired it up and plugged it in and nothing works. So I'm looking and I'm trying to figure out why I have two identical power plugs. I would think I only need one. So what I'm thinking is that that PO installed the Mach 460 components, but never hooked it up right. Is it really that easy to put in a Mach 460? All the wiring seems to be there. There just isn't any power going to the plug that seems to be for the Mach. I'll snap a couple pics so you guys can see what I'm talking about.

• Sponsors (?)

the mach 460 came with 2 head units, when i installed mine i had to use some of the connectors from each head unit. One of the long peices in the second pic, and one of the square pieces from first pic(the non-metal one i think). that small black one is just a ground. Is the harness you bought for premium sound fords?

Since you have a 98, you have the CD and Tape/Reciever headunit. there should be a harness comming from the amp with 2 ends, one for each headunit. It's not easy to install the Mach 460, I recommend just getting a new headunit.

Iniquity said:
Since you have a 98, you have the CD and Tape/Reciever headunit. there should be a harness comming from the amp with 2 ends, one for each headunit. It's not easy to install the Mach 460, I recommend just getting a new headunit.

What would getting a new head unit do for me?

mustang70 said:
What would getting a new head unit do for me?
Nothing.

You need a wire harness that isnt from walmart. go to www.partsexpress.com and search for a Metra harness that has RCA's coming off the premium plug (that silver square one you have in your pic)

and make sure you hook up both amp turn on wires (blue with white stripe)

it will work.
ill try to find the part for you as well

I got it

I had to move the amp turn on from one plug to the other and everything came on. Although I still need to look into the tweeters. The only problem I'm having now is a popping when the stereo turns on. Do I need to put a resister in the turn on wire? If so, what rating? Thanks.

mustang70 said:
I had to move the amp turn on from one plug to the other and everything came on. Although I still need to look into the tweeters. The only problem I'm having now is a popping when the stereo turns on. Do I need to put a resister in the turn on wire? If so, what rating? Thanks.

hmmm not sure why it would be popping... possibly a bad speaker who knows thats something id have to listen to in person.

as to your other question, that black plug you dont use (im assuming youre talking about the one w/ the red top in the "mach 460" picture not the other picture.

and yeah you could run an aftermarket setup with that depending on how many RCA preouts you have on your HU

mustang70 said:

Is is a popping or more like a thud? On my '03 when you you reconnect the battery with the key in accy/on position it does this ,this is normal when the amps are initially powered up. If your amps don't have power before the HU is turned on this can happen, there can be other causes but this is one.

I was thinking more of a whump, but thud works well too. I hear it more after I turn the car off. I do have a possible blown speaker. I have to get behind the door panel too investigate. There's a black plug in the picture of the Metra harness. It doesn't look like it connects to anything I have. That's the one that I was wondering about.