I think I got burned!

89drop

Aug 30, 2009
so i went to my local jy and had them pull a rearend out of a mustang for me. they got it from a 94 v6 that they just got in... will this work with my 89 GT for my 5 lug/rear disc conversion? they told me it was the same in the v6 as it was in the GT's but i was reading something that said it was a 7.5? :nonono:

• Sponsors (?)

Rockauto shows the 1994 Mustang V-6 as having a 7.5" rear.

Here is the shape of the housing cover courtesy of RockAuto...

getimage.php

a lot of write ups on how to. very easy if you are mechanically inclined at all.

here is one site where i got a lot of my info
87-93  Ford Fox Body Mustang Brake Upgrades

and here is what you were looking for from that site.

The '94-98 cars rear axle shafts are .75" longer than the stock axles on the '87-93 cars. Be sure you note this longer axle if you are running 9" wide wheels because you will need the wheels with the extra offset like the M179 Ford '95 Cobra Rs (6.45" 36mm) -- which are now discontinued! You can use the 8" wide wheels without issue, but if you want 9" wide wheels you need to convert the brakes to use the stock rear track with Ranger axle shafts!
The V6 cars use the 7.5" rear axle. So the axle housing and gears will be no good to the 8.8" rear end, but everything else will! The '94-98 GT and Cobras use the 8.8 rear end with a 3.27 gear in them stock. Most yards will only sell the complete rear axle assembly presently. So if you get the 8.8 unit, just bolt that in. It will be a direct swap except the brake line fittings to the chassis will need to be adapted. You can also use the stock drum brake hardlines with 2 adapters at the caliper softlines to convert.

Remember that the V6/GT/Cobra all use the same axles, calipers, and brake lines. The axle bracket, rotors and pads (same pads as the V6/GT, just thinner) are specific to the Cobra.

a lot of write ups on how to. very easy if you are mechanically inclined at all.

here is one site where i got a lot of my info
87-93* Ford Fox Body Mustang Brake Upgrades

and here is what you were looking for from that site.

The '94-98 cars rear axle shafts are .75" longer than the stock axles on the '87-93 cars. Be sure you note this longer axle if you are running 9" wide wheels because you will need the wheels with the extra offset like the M179 Ford '95 Cobra Rs (6.45" 36mm) -- which are now discontinued! You can use the 8" wide wheels without issue, but if you want 9" wide wheels you need to convert the brakes to use the stock rear track with Ranger axle shafts!
The V6 cars use the 7.5" rear axle. So the axle housing and gears will be no good to the 8.8" rear end, but everything else will! The '94-98 GT and Cobras use the 8.8 rear end with a 3.27 gear in them stock. Most yards will only sell the complete rear axle assembly presently. So if you get the 8.8 unit, just bolt that in. It will be a direct swap except the brake line fittings to the chassis will need to be adapted. You can also use the stock drum brake hardlines with 2 adapters at the caliper softlines to convert.

Remember that the V6/GT/Cobra all use the same axles, calipers, and brake lines. The axle bracket, rotors and pads (same pads as the V6/GT, just thinner) are specific to the Cobra.

thanks! youre my boy blue!:nice:

thanks! youre my boy blue!:nice:

anytime. I am only useful once in a great while. I fall in the category of been there, done that, failed, did it again and had success.

I am putting together yet another 5 lug conversion myself. I am trying to go low budget though keeping drums in the rear. We'll see how that works out. LOL

anytime. I am only useful once in a great while. I fall in the category of been there, done that, failed, did it again and had success.

I am putting together yet another 5 lug conversion myself. I am trying to go low budget though keeping drums in the rear. We'll see how that works out. LOL

:nice:if youre doing it on a budget you may want to get mustang5L5's last set of spacers, they are great quality!