I wanna break a Z28

I had a buddy with an 03 cobra putting 530hp to the ground on some Mickey Thompson drag radials and he had trouble running away from an automatic LS1 Camaro. He wasn't the best driver but you get the idea. It's just so hard to pin things down based on power alone. You have the driver, the suspension, the tires, the location, and errors even a good driver may make. If you're taking him to the track...I'd make sure you have some sticky tires and some spray at your disposal.

• Sponsors (?)

I hear ya Grady. I was just thinking in terms if power difference. But yes, driver...

I had a buddy with an 03 cobra putting 530hp to the ground on some Mickey Thompson drag radials and he had trouble running away from an automatic LS1 Camaro. He wasn't the best driver but you get the idea. It's just so hard to pin things down based on power alone. You have the driver, the suspension, the tires, the location, and errors even a good driver may make. If you're taking him to the track...I'd make sure you have some sticky tires and some spray at your disposal.

That is true. I also wonder if their suspensions are better than ours? I dont really know.

I live on a military base in AZ and get Ls1s "piping" me when they drive by. I think it is kinda neat, like an acknowledgement that you have a decent car too. I'm sure they aren't "piping" civics as they drive by. I also get my fair share of Mustangs driving by and revving up too.

I don't know about LT1s though. I remember racing an auto one in my bone stock 87Gt from a roll, and taking him pretty easily. The motor in the 87 was beat too, it blew like 2 weeks after that. I have seen an LT1 run 13.6 at the track that only had exhaust and slicks on it.

Yea Give us the year. Weather it is Stick or Auto.

if ur going to be on the 1/8th or 1/4th

ur going to have a better chance with an ls1 in the 1/8th.

1st reason there power band is allot higher then ours

This doesn't make sense, because if you race someone at an actual strip, both of you will be in your power band the whole time. If yours is at 2000-3500 and his is from 7000-9500, you'll both be where you want to be from start to finish.

The only time the location of the powerband comes into effect is street racing when it MIGHT take an LS1 longer to reach their power band if you jump him unexpectedly from a roll.

More seat time will show you that at the track, LS1s typically own mustangs at the start, middle, and end of the race.

And to everyone else... don't disrespect the ol' Lt-Fun either. They will surprise you.

Adam

This doesn't make sense, because if you race someone at an actual strip, both of you will be in your power band the whole time. If yours is at 2000-3500 and his is from 7000-9500, you'll both be where you want to be from start to finish.

The only time the location of the powerband comes into effect is street racing when it MIGHT take an LS1 longer to reach their power band if you jump him unexpectedly from a roll.

More seat time will show you that at the track, LS1s typically own mustangs at the start, middle, and end of the race.

And to everyone else... don't disrespect the ol' Lt-Fun either. They will surprise you.

Adam

Perhaps you missed my post....

http://www.100mphclub.com/race/ :rlaugh:

There is a big difference from 1/8th mile racing and 1/4 - it's 3rd gear and above at the end of the track where they REALLY kick in. There is more air resistance at higher speeds. :nice: The bigger engine has more power to fight the resistance.

Damn, no offense but your friend needs some practice. A friend of mine who has a 490rwhp Terminator ran an 11.84 @ 124.

That auto your buddy ran probably had heads and a nice rear end.

I don't know about LT1s though. I remember racing an auto one in my bone stock 87Gt from a roll, and taking him pretty easily. The motor in the 87 was beat too, it blew like 2 weeks after that. I have seen an LT1 run 13.6 at the track that only had exhaust and slicks on it.

Some of them were dogs depending on the computer version or something... Not mine. My friend had an 89 lx all bolt ons stick, and gears. we both had street tires like and all i had was cat back and I blew him away like ant from a leaf blower every time. Roll...start..top end...every time. He ran low 14's at the track. :shrug:

Damn, no offense but your friend needs some practice. A friend of mine who has a 490rwhp Terminator ran an 11.84 @ 124.

Yea you are right it deffinately wasnt stock. One of my friends had a trans am auto with exhaust slp lid and a few other slp parts. It was quick but it wasnt that fast there's no way it would even keep up with a terminator except from about 100mph on.

Hell when I had my focus turboed I ran another friend with a camaro ss 6 speed with headers and all and he didnt run away that bad.

dont diss on the aluminum driveshaft...it adds like 57.4798 hp at the wheels and if you go under the car its BLING BLING. When i beat a car their like what do you have...i just say 3 words, aluminum driveshaft bitch.

but yeh your defintely going to need some type of power adder or h/c/i to even hang with LS1's and even LT1's.

I have ran ls1 and lt1 cars at the drag strip with other cars not my current cobra. I had a 91gt with a 5 speed that had several mod but still had stock 3:08 gears and tires. I ran a lt1 6 speed z28 of my friends that had 3:73 gears, ignition, exhaust, and drag radials. We raced probly ten times every pass I jumped him a length! He would pass me just as we went through the lights in the 1/8th if he got a good launch. comparing our best passes I ran a 8:81 he run a 8:79 I was consistantly a tenth faster to 60ft. My guess is that the transmissions lower gear ratios are what makes the difference. All camaro 6 speeds have 2:66 1st gear where the t5 has a 3:35.

dont diss on the aluminum driveshaft...it adds like 57.4798 hp at the wheels and if you go under the car its BLING BLING. When i beat a car their like what do you have...i just say 3 words, aluminum driveshaft bitch.

but yeh your defintely going to need some type of power adder or h/c/i to even hang with LS1's and even LT1's.

thats hilarious.

i knew a boy that had a 95 z28. that was an lt1.his was stock and when i got 94gt it was bone stock with a catback and the aode. it was still at stock timing. i could hang with him stoplight to stoplight but when he turned on to the 70mph highway and got one it, he gave me a mean ass whoppin. it felt pretty quick, he put 4.11s on it and a chip and it didnt really feel that much quicker. i know the bodys on those cars a pretty week. im not 100% sure on the suspension. but our cars look way better and dont sound like ass either. more girls like mustangs better than camaros. id like to see him now and i believe i could take him.

You are absolutely right. My friend had money to get everything done but was a horrible driver. This proves my point of how much different variables will affect a race beyond the vehicle itself.

The guy wouldn't let on what he had done to the Camaro but it was damn quick off the line. The Cobra didn't really pull until third gear. It was amazing to watch because everything seemed to be stock on the Camaro. I almost thought he had a 150 shot or something without the lines or anything visible.

Adam

No disrespecting to them at all it is just the truth our TQ come on allot sooner then theres does so at the 1/8th mile we do stand a better chance...... Been racing at 1/8th mile all my life. and the LS1's will run from 8.9's to 8.4's but there mph is way up. they just dont have the TQ off start not bashing just telling u where we do stand a chance.

you dont have 3k but whats your budget?
for cheapest power you can do a fuel pump and nitrous kit
and if money left over, get some drag radials or slicks
and a few $ for gas to practice launching

I don't know, My budget might be about $500 to $1,000, but likely closer to $500. I'm a little reluctant to go w/ nitrous, however, If I got some aftermaket heads, like the thumper heads or gt40p, could I get him then?

The intake will help your cause but you will need more. A nitrous kit will be the best bang for the buck that and some drag radials will probly be plenty enough to take him out if he's mostly stock. If he's not stock he might still beat you though.
I've got a friend thats a avid chevy man and he's rubbing in the fact his 2002 SS camaro will smoke my poor little 240 hp cobra. I gotta little surprise though for him coming pretty soon. I'm more than likely going to get me a vortech SQ trim after I do a leak down and compression tests.

Now that's what I'm talkin about!!!!