I want to clean up engine bay. Any Tips? (w/ current pics)

bloopbloob

Sep 27, 2006
Alberta
Just looking to clean things up a bit. I've seen all the crazy chromed engines some of u guys have, :drool: :drool: , but thats a bit outta my league right now! i got rid of a/c and smog, anything else i can do? Looking for tips on cleaning, removing unnecessary parts, painting etc.... that some of u guys might have? Any dress up parts i should get?
2591090_26_full.jpg

2591090_27_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

if the engine is dirty, start by taking it to the carwash blast the degreaser and pressure wash it. if u want to take it slow get some simple green and a nice scrub brush. grab a water hose at home and scrub scrub scrub. after that be sure to wipe all water that may have gotten in the distributor. car will run like crap with moisture in the dizzy.

take some armor all and touch up the rubber stuff. let it dry and go to town.

u can also take some small stuff off and paint it real nice. like the fan shroud, or the metal bracket deals that fasten the radiator on top. take the battery box out clean it good. re-route wires, tape up loose wires for a cleaner look.

but IMO that engine looks damn clean as is.

thanks! i had thought about painting the fan shroud, but i worry that it will flake off pretty easily? how do i do this and make it last? i'd like to re-route wiring, but i don't really know how... and wiring in general scares the hell out of me! i've heard its not too hard, so i started but kinda chickened out! What about egr stuff? is it a bad idea to remove it? i'd like to make everything very simple!

bloop, the paint won't flake off the shroud. Well I suppose it COULD but in general you'll never see it unless your car is neglected or something like that.

Anyway, you can sand it down to be smoother than it is to begin with if you like, which will end up with a nicer, smoother finish.

For wiring, don't be afraid. All it really takes to hide them is to disconnect the connectors and plug them back in. You don't have to cut and splice them or anything like that.

Check out my site for how I hid my wires (no pics, but pretty good descriptions): http://www.soniccherry.com/wires.html

I agree with the sanding. I think roughing it up a bit will make the paint adhere better. Then maybe add some clear coat over it? Also agree that the bay looks killer as it is right now. You won't have to worry about smog again? As for the wiring I think the worst looking wiring is the loom on the firewall there and the wiring that goes to the starter relay that could be rerouted through the inner fender well and come out by te relay. I was thinking maybe if you added length to the wires for the two plugs that go to the intake maybe you could reroute that whole loom to under the dash and just have those two plugs come out of the firewall to the intake and the harness could continue to the passenger side going through the inner fender well and coming out by the MAF meter. Does that make any sense? Also reroute the battery to the trunk instead?

It just a little time and very little effort to clean things up, believe me.

Yrs ago everyone scared to hide wires, vacuum line or anything else because not many ppl had done it before, but now everyone does it.

I like the looks of your engine bay... simple and clean...and that's what it's all about IMHO.

But it's just my$.02 though.

edit:
my 1 suggestion though would be to elinimated those decals, never been found of advertising for anyone.

well i'm planning on doing a h/c/i ... some day! gonna go the package route i think, so i'll need $2500-3000, just trying to get the $$$! when i do that, i'll put some nice valve covers on for sure. being a student, it'll probably be a while before i get to that though.:mad: .
haha - thanks for the props on the PS cover! it lasted about 2 days! gone now! the cap popped off after about 5 min of driving, but i noticed and was able to go get it without damage. so i bent it so it fit tight, but next day... POP! right under my rear tire! worst $35 ever spent!!! haha

Same thing happened to me with that chrome PS pump cap. Stupid thing. No damage after it flew off but it did scare the heck out of me. I like the current setup much better ;)

I think nearly everyone suggested hiding wires too, it's undoubtedly the best way to make the whole area less cluttered aside from taking out the engine completely :)

I'll see if i can find any pics of my ole engine compartment. A couple of Saturday afternonns and she looked great! Did all the wiring up under the pich weld on the firewall. Hid all the vac lines and tree in the wheel wells. painted her all up

Damn. making me sick thinking about it, cause I don't have it any
more!!!

:bang: :Damnit: :doh: :damnit: :fuss: :shrug: :notnice: :nono: :( :nonono: