I went to get an estimate today...

Well I know I have to replace the two door skins along with the driver's 1/4 panel and change the color but I was thinking $5000.00 not $8500.00

I am a mechanic and after building many engines and fitting a Dodge Viper T-56 behind my 347 I feel pretty good about my mechanical ability. As the owner of an equipment rental store I always say I am just a glorified mechanic. but why I am so....Well scared to jump into the body work? I am looking for your opinion as to whether I should bite the bullet and have the local shop do the body or do it myself?

• Sponsors (?)

I did the metal work on my car and then took it to the body shop for final smoothing and paint. I saved a buth of money and am proud of the results. I did not want to paint the car because I am very particular and would notice all the flaws.

If you already know how to use airtools and mig weld+have a garage, I would go for it. there are many good people on here that can help when u get stuck or just need a oppinion.

We changed a door skin on our 66. Not a very difficult job if you have the tools. Took about 6 hours to remove the door, cut skin off and install the new skin.
We took pictures if you want to view them on our webpage
New Door Skin
Be sure to drill holes into the lip on the new skin BEFORE you bend it over so you can plug weld the skin to the frame

Are they taking down to bare metal? If so $8 does not seem unreasonable to trunk, jambs, undhood etc. Lot of work to change color. Also, agree with replacing whole door - Did skins on mine and if I had to do over again would have went with full doors - unless you are doing the skins yourself - be cheaper in the long run.

By my calculation, that'd be a about $500 labor charge, plus $50 for the skin.

A new door is $250.

Or $50 if he does it himself. (Plus the cost of at least a hammer and dolly if doesn't have these)

I re-skinned both my doors and couldn't be happier. Here's some pics of the passenger door:

Right Door pictures by FordP51 - Photobucket

I spent 80% the time working on the doors removing rust from the shell and re-painting. The actual skin install was pretty easy.

If you're interested in trying it yourself, I'd say go for it. At worst you'll buy a skin, screw it up, and then buy a door for $250, and you'd be out the extra cost of a door skin.

Dont sweat the welding, with the money your saving you could go out an buy a small Lincoln 140 mig running on 110v for $500 and still be WAY ahead. Then you can rent it out :). This is a pretty good place to start your welding skills as its not crutial, not structural and if their not pretty, no one will see it anyway.

I just did both rear quarters, fabricated custom side scoops and the front lower sections of both my doors this week using the welder listed above. I'm no body man but this was easy. I'll let the proffessionals double check my work, block sand and paint it but I just saved a TON of cash in doing it myself.
View attachment 225698

Go to any auto body shop and ask for a fender from the dumpster to practice on. They will be more than happy to give you one.

It will be the right gauge and you can dial in the heat and wire feed so it will be perfect when you do the panel. You can get pretty good after 1 or 2 hours of practice welding. Remember you will be grinding down the welds and a grinder will make ugly welds beautiful!

if you wanna save some money do the door skins yourself and instead of welding the new shell on buy some panel bond from your local paint distrubutor and get a cheap flat hammer and a toe dolly. its hard to do yourself. but changing paint colors involves alot of time. wanna save more money at the body shop disassemble the car first then take it to them and your cost should be way less. just me 2 cents from working in a body shop. what color you going with?

Well Im so unorganized that I just saw one passenger side complete door shell so I think the thing to do is to buy the drivers side shell and I'm only left with the quarter panel replacement.
I am thinking about a Dark metallic Silver but the owner of the body shop had a brand new burnt orange SS Camero and although I love the color I dont know about it on my old coupe. I'm still up in the air on the color.

I appreciate the idea of getting panels from the body shop though for practice...Thats why I'm a member, Yall make me look smarter than I am.

I wish I had photo shop so I could see my car in different colors.