Ice bags on intake manifold?

Hey bmo,
why don't you remove that cold air intake in your sig. then? After all, that cold, brrrrrrr... air is just gonna go thru everything you mentioned, AND a 215+*F intake... so, why bother?
I assume that if you are arguing the point, then you've followed all the proper icing procedures and tested it yourself?
The reason why those listed do not do it is because thay have over an hour between runs, most of them dissassemble thier entire top end, providing adequate cooling others run elect. fans and water pumps, which are much more efficient than ice, and can get thier entire engine down to 160F-140F... now that would be nice.
In the meantime, to anyone looking for the last couple of tenths on a strict budget, icing the intake plain and simple works.
In addition to the post above, I'd like to add that NHRA stock, and super stock class's use that wastefull ice as well.
Hey, if that's not enough, lets go talk to Bob Cosby about this...

• Sponsors (?)

Quick spread the word... it's the biggest scandal of the automotive world, these turbo and supercharged guys are wasting thier money. I mean come on, intercoolers are a total waste!!! First of all, the air passes through the compressor too fast to transfer heat right, then air rushes through the intercooler way too fast to cool it even if heat was created anyways. It's a conspiracy I tell ya!!!

some people can't read, I never said intercoolers don't work just that a 25lb metal intake isn't an intercooler. Maybe if you couild keep the ice cold and run it on the intake the entire time than maybe it would give little gains but that not possible.

and cleanLx if you believe in the cold air intake thing than I feel sorry for you Its there just for looks and if you didn't know that than I'll buy you a tornado form your birthday cause thats dyno proven according to the commerical.

Its funny most of the only people that ice is stockers hmm funny none of the big timers do it and there must be a reason, maybe because it doesn't do crap and they know its a waste of time.

bmo37 said:
and cleanLx if you believe in the cold air intake thing than I feel sorry for you Its there just for looks and if you didn't know that than I'll buy you a tornado form your birthday cause thats dyno proven according to the commerical.

It was mean of me to attack you.
For that I appolgize.
For the record I do not believe in cold air intakes. Not even for looks, but if you like it I can respect that.

What I find amusing is that, plenty of people use ice, it does work, and you are arguing based on what appears to be opinion.

bmo37 said:
Its funny most of the only people that ice is stockers hmm funny none of the big timers do it and there must be a reason, maybe because it doesn't do crap and they know its a waste of time.

Maybe you did not read all of my post, or any of the post above that... but rest assured, big time racers are useing ice, or, have more efficient means of cooling thier assemblies... tear down, elec. water pumps(thermal bridging applies here) N2O dry ice...

If you don't want to use ice, fine, but don't tell folks it does not work just cause you don't like it.

Well, metal transfers heat, and the intake is metal and gets hot. It may be only a few degrees air temp change, but every little bit helps.

BMO, no you never said intercoolers didn't work, but you did say that the air flowed too fast through the intake to transfer heat, and it flows pretty fast through intercoolers and still drops some serious temps. I agree 25lbs of aluminum takes alot to cool down, but also takes alot to heat up. If you leave the ice on for half an hour, its going to have the upper intake looking like a glass of tea in the summer sun and even the lower will be cooler, even at the end of the run.

Yes, the "big timers" do use such meathods, but as CleanLX said many have more advanced ways of cooling thier engines.

Icing the intake might only be good for a tenth or so. Lets say you race, they walk your dog, it's not like icing your intake will make a difference. But lets say it turns out it's neck and neck, ice might make the difference to make a nose.

An inch or a mile, a win is a win and it sucks when you loose by an inch.

I don't want to attack anyone either but ever time I try to give an opinion on this I get ripped apart.

90mustangGT I'm all for intercoolers but there designed much more effecient, they have fins in which outside ambient air flows through cooling the air inside, An intercooler is a combination of spreading air over a larger volume, using a metal that disapates heat quickly (aluminum), and the use of outside air to cool the intake air charge.

The only point i was trying to make is I don't think icing is worth the effort, some poeple do and thats fine, But I can't be convinced that it works. Like I said before do whatever you gotta do to go faster as long as its legal. :)

Well you lie to call us stockers, yet wont even look at the times we run for the mods. Its funny how the guys fighting for ice run good times with their mods, yet the guy saying its useless doesnt even list his 1/4 time, yet calls what his says fact. I have run hot and then iced it and run, and guess what, the car went faster! I run at the track with 8-13 second cars, and most of them have ice on the intake between rounds. If you dont like it, fine but you dont run heads up, I do, I need every extra bit of help to beat the guy next to me, and ice helps, plain and simple.

Oh well, i dont care this much, you wont ice, I will, in the end we both want to go faster!