Ideas for better gas mileage?

agirlbeatyou

Burnout Queen
Feb 25, 2003
vancouver, washington
I know that this is a stang forum but we have alot of truck drivers too.

Ok so do you think its well worth spending the money on a cai,cat back and programmer to get 1-3 mpg better? I have been reading alot of truck forums and everones 50/50 over it.
:D ( thanks ed ,allen and patrick in advance)

yes I know its a truck and its a 5.4 what did I expect right? I know Im just wondering before I go out and buy the upgrades thats all.:p

• Sponsors (?)

Misha on my 06f150 4x4 im running a jlt intake, sct tune and magnaflow super truck cat back side exit and probaly got around 40 to 50rwh and around 50 rwt with that combo.Shifts real crisp now and the power is great but the tune im running requires 92 to 93 oct so its cost more to run premium and when i ran the 87 and 89 tune that i have to the power wasnt as good and milage was about the same as stock except with the 93 tune im getting about 2 more miles to the gallon around 14mpg combo city/freeway but thats in a 4x4 that weighs almost 6000 pounds with 35 inch tires and stock 355 gears so thats not to bad and I Dont race it too much but I GET on it once in a while for passing and spanking those chevys :D So if your looking for just better mileage i wouldnt do it but if you want more power and a excuse to do it then ya you'll get better mileage;)

My business is making class eight truck get better fuel economy.

These are my two recommends:

1) Gear fast, run slow.
2) Take weight out, especially rotational mass (that means no bingtastic wheels or swampers).

I got flowmaster exhaust 3" in/3" out with a 3.5" SS tip. Didn't get any better gas mileage but, that was around the same time I put on the 22's. On my truck with the 3"/4" drop and 22's gas mileage around town sucks but, on the freeway it does much better. The price you pay for looks. :bang: I think im going to get an intake next.

I know this is more aimed at class 7-8 trucks, but read this:

http://www.kenworth.com/FuelEconomyWhitePaper.pdf

but lots of good info you can apply to every car you own.

one last thing, don't lift your truck if you want better fuel economy, that kills it at freeway speeds.

I read on a forum to run alittle more air in the tires as required? I have 20's and its lowered. I think Im going to get the green air fliter intake system.

I sort of had the same dilemma when I thought about getting a new car and getting rid of my Jeep. Basically it comes down to how much money you are going to save vs the cost of the parts required to achieve said savings. Lets say you drive 10000 miles a year, lets say you get 14 mpg, thats about 715 gallons of gas at an avg of $3.10 per gallon thats $2216 per year. If you improved your mpg by 3 mpg and got 17mpg that 588 gallons of gas at $3.10 equalling $1823 which equates to a savings of that year of $383. Now, what the cost of the parts and how many years will it take you to actually see a return for your investment?

In the end, the money you spend on parts can buy a lot of gasoline. If you want the parts for power then look at it as an entertainment expense....:nice: That's how I justify my Cobra.:flag:

I'm keeping my Jeep by the way....:D

I sort of had the same dilemma when I thought about getting a new car and getting rid of my Jeep. Basically it comes down to how much money you are going to save vs the cost of the parts required to achieve said savings. Lets say you drive 10000 miles a year, lets say you get 14 mpg, thats about 715 gallons of gas at an avg of $3.10 per gallon thats $2216 per year. If you improved your mpg by 3 mpg and got 17mpg that 588 gallons of gas at $3.10 equalling $1823 which equates to a savings of that year of $383. Now, what the cost of the parts and how many years will it take you to actually see a return for your investment?

In the end, the money you spend on parts can buy a lot of gasoline. If you want the parts for power then look at it as an entertainment expense....:nice: That's how I justify my Cobra.:flag:

I'm keeping my Jeep by the way....:D

Great explanation. Its one I use as well. With 31-10.5's on my S-10, which weights 4800 lbs due to the ZR2 package, I get 14 around town and 17 on the Freeway and that's with a 4.3 and K&N. I was getting 16 in town and almost 19 on the Hwy with a 29 inch tire and stock wheels, so tires are a big factor for gas mileage. I also have 3.73's

I think like ed says sorta? You go and do the programing and the other B.S that cost's what about $1,000-1,500 ? then have to run the high oct gas at what now it's only $3.21 a gallon and you loose some MPG? So when gas hits the $3.60,3.75& most likely the BIG $4.00 mark at prob what a 30-35 gallon tank thats like $140 a tank! and prob once a week! Yeah go ahead and mod it guy's!!!! :nonono: Steve has the best idea keep your foot out of it and enjoy it for what it is. Dont you already have a fast vehical? I mean what do you want speed/H.P or gas milage? You cant really have both! I want the milage so i drive the 4 banger looks good and gets great milage!, i want speed and performance thats where the 5.0 comes in. peace

john:p

Or you can buy one of those new small cars made by mercedes benz that get about 40 to 50 mpg , have 8 gallon tanks and sell for 15000 to 20000 deppending on options and you can buy one at your nearest chevy dealer. But its definately no F150.