Ideas to save gas (other than taking your foot out of it)

I KNOW this helps: Wax the **** out your car! I did a test with my truck and long story short, with it waxed real good ... I got 3 MPG (hwy miles and city miles) more than with it washed only. I am going to do another test with my car as soon as I can get it aligned. My A/C kills my gas mileage too, so don't run it when you don't have to ..... Um, thats all I can think of.

Get a TORNADO :nice: FTL

• Sponsors (?)

Nater said:
Reduce the speed. It has been shown that driving 70 mph causes around a 20% reduction in gas mileage compared to 55 mph.

+1

5spd GT said:
Nater, do you have the test results for that? A link?

You have to figure out what is the best area covered by the mph you are going. Just because you go slower (mph) doesn't mean you are getting the most mpg...

I have results of that test :D haha..

From Morrilton to Russellville, 25 miles, I consistently used less gas via highway 64 with the cruise control set on 55mph.. Compared to when I took I-40 with cruise set on 70mph.. but I dunno, I could be wrong :shrug:

I usually shift around 2k everywhere I go unless I need to get out into traffic quick and then cruise 60 all the way home on the highway and I do really good if I keep my foot out of it...but now thats it summer time and my windows are down I like to hear the car rev and the exhaust:D

Ive gotten around 305 miles to a tank, right at 23 mpg basically. The first quarter (maybe) I drove nice and easy, but after that I stopped trying to get good MPG and ran it like a raped ape. I kinda wish I would have kept driving like a granny to see what it could have gotten.

how about moving someplace where insurance is cheaper? Reduce your living expenses in other areas, such as quit smoking or drinking? Don't eat out as much, don't waste money n things you don't need, only buy generic groceries, and shop at Goodwill for clothes.

Seriously, the "high cost of gas" is relative. It isn't all that expensive, considering what many pay in insurance. I'd rather save $100/mo on insurance than obsess over how much gas I burn. Obviously, slowing down on the freeway can save gas, but at the expense of taking more time. What is your time worth? Would you rather spend the money on gas, or sit in your car for an extra few hours every week?

why would shifting at 1,3,5 help your mpg?

AND another question....what is the best rpm's to cruise at? everyone will cruise at diff speeds cuse we have diff gears...stock, 3.55, 3.73, 3.90 AND 4.10's...but im curious what is the overall best crusing rpm for 5 spd's?

i got 3.73's and at 65 mph im going about 2k....