Identify Cam

sen2two

I've been lubing and pulling it all morning
Jul 18, 2013
Is there a way I can identify the cam in my car without removing it?

I bought the car used the other day, and I never believe what people tell me when they have these pistons, rods, cam, whatever. There is no way to prove it, and from what I have found over time. The majority of people lie when selling cars.

So I was told I have a crane cam. Among other things. But I was also told the heads were gt40p, I have already confirmed this to be a lie and the heads are stock e7. I am going to upgrade the heads asap as well as the roller rockers and associated parts. It would be much easier to order parts if I new the cam specs.

So can I measure lift or duration at the push rod in any way to get an idea of which came it is?

• Sponsors (?)

Yes you'll need a degree wheel, dial indicator, a base magnet, and a dial holder. Then some pretty structured reading skills with math involved to get your specs. I'd just spend the time and tear it down. Your changing things anyways. And you'll already be most of the way there

As you've already confirmed the guy lied about the heads- pretty easy to see the 4 bars for a p head- I would assume he lied about the cam. You could luck out and take the timing cover, chain, thrust bearing off and see markings on the end of the cam, but then you're halfway done pulling it out at that point.

My guess it's stock.

Reactions: 1 user
Is there a way I can identify the cam in my car without removing it?

I bought the car used the other day, and I never believe what people tell me when they have these pistons, rods, cam, whatever. There is no way to prove it, and from what I have found over time. The majority of people lie when selling cars.

So I was told I have a crane cam. Among other things. But I was also told the heads were gt40p, I have already confirmed this to be a lie and the heads are stock e7. I am going to upgrade the heads asap as well as the roller rockers and associated parts. It would be much easier to order parts if I new the cam specs.

So can I measure lift or duration at the push rod in any way to get an idea of which came it is?
You can do this but when you add the cost of a degree wheel, dial indicator and having to remove most of the accessories off the front of the engine, it may not be worth while.

See checking cam specs with a degree wheel - YouTube for more help.

Reactions: 1 user