Identifying seats and questions

ARTTII

Jan 13, 2004
Detroit, MI
What seats came stock in our cars? Is there differences between 87-93?

I'm putting a car back together that did not come with seats. Do stock seats have "locking" backs (don't flop around, i.e. have to push a lever to lay forward for rear seat entry/exit), do they recline??

What other functions do they have?

Basically I'm looking for the best seat (functionally) to put back into my car - if you can help me answer any of those questions it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

• Sponsors (?)

You could use any seat from 79-04, technically. The seat bolts are all in the same location, but if you're a taller guy, you probably wouldn't want the 94-04 seats because you'll be sitting closer to the roof. There should be a lever on the back of the seat to bring it forward for rear seat access, and they do recline, but I'm only speaking from experience of what my 90 GT had, and now what my 95 has, so that may vary over the years the Fox was built.

87-89 have bigger headrests and the butt seat has a pullout section
90-91 have smaller headrest and the butt seat has a pullout section
92-93 have smaller headrests and the butt seat does not have a pullout section

They all look similar and most people like the 92-93 seats because they are a little bit more comfortable due to more padding in the butt seat, because they do not have the pull out section. All of these seats are supposed to lock, if they don't something is broken, but the seats will still recline forward and back.

Most GT's are manual tracks, but some were power. I believe all of them had power lumbar though.

Hope this helps!!:nice:

imo the 90-91s are the best fox seats...the pull out bottom thing (although never ever used) makes them look a little better, and the smaller headrests are very nice looking also

View attachment 390625

I agree 100%. You can't beat that look. My notch is a 4cyl conversion, so I have the stock 4 banger seats, they are in mint condition, and very comfy!! I love the GT seats, but I am keeping the original interior!:nice:

GT seats from 87- newer, and 5.0L Sport, 89- 93 are the good ones. My 88 has the short, puffy LX seats the four bangers had, cause thats what they came with pre-89, when the 5.0 LX became its own model, not an option on the LX line. The older GT's, 86 and older, had nice looking seats, but the notorious breaking bracket thing, where you'd be leaning one way or the other, made you look like you were driving an IROC!

Cool thanks for the info guys - I knew there was variation in the years but that is some good stuff posted in this thread!

I think I'll go for the 90-91s seats... for the reasons posted above - also the "higher back"/smaller headrests does look better imo vs. the smaller back with bigger headrests...

I think that pull out thing is a recliner for your knees or somthing, i never use mine. they still pull out but i think my figure is to light and short to get any usefulness out of those. :rolleyes:

imo the 90-91s are the best fox seats...the pull out bottom thing (although never ever used) makes them look a little better, and the smaller headrests are very nice looking also

View attachment 390530

I sold a set of those exact seats in black clotch for $250 :(

Now i regret it.

Oh well, i'm replacing them with 99-04 GT leather seats ;)

Lol i wish i sold them for more but they went to a friend so i cut them a good deal. I still have the back seat for now, but i was going to put a 99-04 rear seat in as well. I'll sell my black rear seat when i finally do that

Lol i wish i sold them for more but they went to a friend so i cut them a good deal. I still have the back seat for now, but i was going to put a 99-04 rear seat in as well. I'll sell my black rear seat when i finally do that

ya the back is not so bad....i actually used the "guts" and carpet off the back of my old seat-backs and still made that much!!!

so now they work like stock and fold down and look just like stock.
only problem is when they are up there are still the damn coupe plastic things on top :shrug: oh well