IDIOT drove my car, question about clutch

Stang8URMPRT - i can see where ppl watching like that would get annoying..but you have to understand ppls possitions...specially with sports cars...you say if they cant TRUST you... how can they trust you unless they bring a car in..and mabe watch you once or twice...THEN they can trust you and not watch...but im suppose to just bring my car in..and TRUST you right off the bat...with the amount of money i have in my car im sure not just going to hand the keys off to just anyone....you have to give ppl a reason to trust you...

and about not being able to do stuff..from the sound of it you own your OWN shop...not everyone has there OWN shop with tool to do alignments and lifts and welders...OR a paint booth even...

• Sponsors (?)

88SC_GT
Well, if you're 17, then no beers for you. Sorry, can't be getting in trouble for distributing to minors. . .

I agree that it was wrong of the guy to be stupid with your clutch.

Did you specifically ask to hang around so you could learn something?

Also, be careful of your "right to say whatever you want", I don't think the First Amendment to the Constitution is exactly backing you there. Saying "get the **** out" isn't exactly what I'd call the "mature" approach and is very easily mis-interpreted.

To re-state my position:
I agree that your car should not have been treated like that. It was wrong and completely unprofessional. But, from the sound of it, you probably didn't deal with the situation as well as you could have at the time.

I'm just saying that the situation could have been handled better. You could have talked with the supervisor and expressed your concern about possible damage to your car and they might have been able to work out some kind of deal.

I can see it from both sides of the coin, I was thet tech at one point and I'm the customer now ( for very few things ). some times it would drive you nuts to have the customer there but I usually didn't have a prob unless they were asking tons of questions and getting me distracted. I don't think any one should have an issue about you looking over their shoulder unless they are nervous of doing something wrong. But then there are people that stand right behind you, so you bump into them when you turn around...........that just annoying

as i said, it was a reaction. after it was said he got out in a huff and left my car idling in neutral with no e-brake and it began to roll. before i even got the chance to say my clutch was smoking, so i got in the car.

you had to be there, but the body language was not "come inside and chat". so i said ill be back if something is wrong with the car calmly after i was sitting in it. it frustrates me more then anything so see that happening to my car. so i dont regret the way i handled it, and would react in the same way if it happened again tomorrow.

it could be mis-interpreted as you said, but basically my reaction was "get out". i didnt know if it was on fire, he was burning the clutch, or what was happening. what i said got the point across quickly though and saved it as soon as possible. split second reactions like that dont give you alot of time to think.. hmm am i going to offend this guy destroying my car? is it on fire, whats wrong? it is GET OUT/STOP.

i typed this shortly after it happened, so i was telling a more aggressive story on my part then it actually was. which leads on details that i could have handled better, such as wording.

i was never given the chance to explain/talk to anyone after it happened. my car was just abandoned and rolling away, so after it all happened i wasnt going to sit down with the manager who saw it all, go park the car, walk in, ect. they were standing there acting like they were about to take a wrench to the car. i did want something to be said about damages, so i said that and left it at that.

about asking to stand around, no i never ask to stand to learn. it is just a general thing that happens. this is getting way too technical about my experiences explaining it to the other dick.

three different times taking the car in, i have once gone in and spoken to them prior, once i met the guy before hand with a friend. so it was more of a bs'ing and standing around thing. the only place i didnt "ask" to stand was when i had my wheels mounted. i did ask if i could get an estimate to have rotors installed, then when i returned they started to bs about the car. :shrug:

so not standing there tapping my watch and staring them down.

this has gone way off topic now. i reacted, i dont regret how it happened in the situation, take it as you will.

i got the information i was looking for, thanks for that input.

/end post

I see nothing wrong with wanting to see the work being performed on your car. I have had a few experiences with shops charging me for new parts while reusing stuff already on my car.

I would never just toss my keys to any person just because they are a tech. perfect example - about 2 weeks ago I needed some brakework done on my truck(rear proportioning valve/lines rusted and blew out). I have it towed to the nearest shop by me because the guy said I had 0 brakes because my pads/rotors/shoes where also shot(he drove over and checked it out in my driveway). I figured because he went the extra mile to do this that he was ok. low and behold I'm leaving my house and I see my truck drive by with 2 guys in it(neither of which was the guy from the shop) with stuff loaded up in the bed. I jumped in my car and chased it down. when I caught up with them they lied and said they were test driving it. I called BS. why would my truck be loaded up with stuff if they were test driving it? the guys got pissed and told me to f***off. I took the keys out of the ignition and left the truck and them there and went directly to the shop to throw a royal fit. of course the guy that had come over denied knowing anything about it so I just told him to forget the job and I went back to pick up my truck.

yeah, I'll just let anyone do whatever with my cars because they are professionals. NOT.

I hear ya man, the tech should have spoken up about not being able to drive a manual car the correct way. Thats exactly what it sounds like, he had no idea how to drive. Beleive me, I would have done the same thing you did, if not go over and dragh his ass thru the window if he did that to my car. I am very protective of my car also, and I have seen how far you have come with your own and how much it must mean to you, don't let other people tell you otherwise. I would try and look for another shop to do the work, if not a private owned shop or something. Go to one, hang a couple times, introduce yourself and tell them about your car, chances are they may let you hang with them during the exhaust repair. Thats what I do, I'm a tech at a private repair shop, been there 5 years, I know pretty much all the customers on a first name basis, they usualy hang out by the steps goin to the office and bs with me as I do the repairs. Just a suggestion. As for the dif fluid burning...no, not a chance in hell, thro that on the back burner. The clutch, he may have taken a few miles off of it but you should be fine for a long while. Like I said, I would have done the same if not worse to him, its all good man, you take pride in your work, as you should.

Nick

ALMOSTFINISHED said:
I hear ya man, the tech should have spoken up about not being able to drive a manual car the correct way. Thats exactly what it sounds like, he had no idea how to drive. Beleive me, I would have done the same thing you did, if not go over and dragh his ass thru the window if he did that to my car. I am very protective of my car also, and I have seen how far you have come with your own and how much it must mean to you, don't let other people tell you otherwise. I would try and look for another shop to do the work, if not a private owned shop or something. Go to one, hang a couple times, introduce yourself and tell them about your car, chances are they may let you hang with them during the exhaust repair. Thats what I do, I'm a tech at a private repair shop, been there 5 years, I know pretty much all the customers on a first name basis, they usualy hang out by the steps goin to the office and bs with me as I do the repairs. Just a suggestion. As for the dif fluid burning...no, not a chance in hell, thro that on the back burner. The clutch, he may have taken a few miles off of it but you should be fine for a long while. Like I said, I would have done the same if not worse to him, its all good man, you take pride in your work, as you should.

Nick

thanks.

very few times do i take my car in though, so it is really not that big of a deal. this is a damn good reason why i dont. i think instead of this f'd up mid-pipe from who knows where, ill get a new x-pipe and see if that will fix it. ill have to find an old pic that shows it, i mean it hangs very low.

i would love to have a work position like that someday. i love to work on cars, but usually not under the circumstances mine needs it (rushed repairs/broken stuff, lack of tools/space).

well no pics of it where you can see how low it sits and no digital camera anymore.

i did measure, and just under 2 inches at the collectors for the mufflers. the h-pipe meets the mufflers at an angle. the mufflers point down to meet it, it hangs about 3-4 inches too low for who knows what reason. it looks just like the 39 dollar summit racing h-pipe and the guy who owned it was cheap. so that might be a good reason.

88 - sorry to hear about your car; however, I'd be willing to bet that the damage was very little. All in all, your car will likely be fine. In the future, if you clutch smokes then let it cool before you do anymore driving to prevent potential damage.
As for stangTAKES3rdINPUT, he is a very angry person that doesn't currently work as a tech. During the little time that he may have worked, he didn't want someone watching him because he knew that he'd screw it up. Look at the guys posts, he really has nothing positive to contribute to stangnet or society. Good luck with your car.

Stang8URMPRT said:
lol. As for you guys saying you want to be up the techs ass.... Man... I LOVE you people. I will stop, and just stare at you. Sit down... stare... Then when you finally realize I stopped because you've so far up my ass, you could check my colon for cancer, I will explain to you if you don't give me my space, YOU CAN DO IT and I'll charge you twice as much. :nice: Or I will close the shop door in your face, whichever I feel will PISS YOU OFF MOST, because I know YOU know by standing there, you're pissing me off. If there is one thing most techs can't stand is the dumb ass people that need to bring their car in cause they don't know what they're doing sits there and stares at you, like you have no idea what you're doing, or you're gunna **** something up. Ya know what? Do it in your driveway, or take it elsewhere. Somewhere you can trust if you don't trust me. And as for an alignment... I drive the car before, and after the alignment. No one pulls their car up on my alignment rack. I need to test drive the car to check for pulls and wheel straightness. Just to get an idea of what might be wrong and what might need to be done. If you don't like the rules... I'm sure there is another shop down the road that will let you do what you want, and charge you less at that... But you want me to work on YOUR car because YOU CAN'T DO IT... hand the keys over... and go sit in the lobby and read your damn Good Housekeeping. Thank you.

Nick. :D
No offence intended my man, But I am VERY qualified at my job where I do sales/installs/tech calls...I guess being as comfortable as I am with my abilities I don't mind having a customer right there with me. I find it's good for their confidence with me, and builds relationships..which gets me the repeat calls...which I thought was the purpose of business. I have had the owners of corps/ foremen of departments/ union reps..etc all right there with me both while problem solving, repairing, installing new systems. I find a way to make them comfortable with my being there..and comfortable with the $$ they're laying out because of it.

Stang8URMPRT said:
lol. As for you guys saying you want to be up the techs ass.... Man... I LOVE you people. I will stop, and just stare at you. Sit down... stare... Then when you finally realize I stopped because you've so far up my ass, you could check my colon for cancer, I will explain to you if you don't give me my space, YOU CAN DO IT and I'll charge you twice as much. :nice: Or I will close the shop door in your face, whichever I feel will PISS YOU OFF MOST, because I know YOU know by standing there, you're pissing me off. If there is one thing most techs can't stand is the dumb ass people that need to bring their car in cause they don't know what they're doing sits there and stares at you, like you have no idea what you're doing, or you're gunna **** something up. Ya know what? Do it in your driveway, or take it elsewhere. Somewhere you can trust if you don't trust me. And as for an alignment... I drive the car before, and after the alignment. No one pulls their car up on my alignment rack. I need to test drive the car to check for pulls and wheel straightness. Just to get an idea of what might be wrong and what might need to be done. If you don't like the rules... I'm sure there is another shop down the road that will let you do what you want, and charge you less at that... But you want me to work on YOUR car because YOU CAN'T DO IT... hand the keys over... and go sit in the lobby and read your damn Good Housekeeping. Thank you.

Nick. :D

and you'd be handing me back my keys so I could find another shop. I've discovered that most places have no trouble with me hanging out and shooting the breeze with them while my car is being worked on. Those are the ones that I seek out. Those are the ones that aren't concerned with my being involved in what's being done to my car.

88SC_GT said:
well no pics of it where you can see how low it sits and no digital camera anymore.

i did measure, and just under 2 inches at the collectors for the mufflers. the h-pipe meets the mufflers at an angle. the mufflers point down to meet it, it hangs about 3-4 inches too low for who knows what reason. it looks just like the 39 dollar summit racing h-pipe and the guy who owned it was cheap. so that might be a good reason.

If you feel like trying to fix it a bit yourself you can loosen all the bolts up and put a jack underneath the h-pipe, jack it up a bit, then run all the bolts in good and tight. I had to do this on my exhaust set-up from the guy before me. it worked pretty good too. Sometimes people (owner before you) just slap it on there and go, no need for adjustments. Otherwsie the new x/h pipe idea that you said should clear it up. That is pretty dam low. Good luck man. :cheers:

Nick

:rlaugh: thanks for all the new contributions. got a laugh from most of them.

as for my exhaust, its just a poor h-pipe. it is the hangers that cause it to hang like that naturally. that is why i went there, to see if i could get shorter hangers, re-tighten the h-pipe on the headers and pull it all up closer to the car.

bbk equal length headers, offroad h-pipe, superturbo mufflers. doesnt sound too bad, liked flowmaster mufflers better when getting on it. these are much nicer for driving though, no drone. still some sound to them though.

only sound range i dont really like this current setup at is 2-3k rpm. rest of it im happy with, so not too many complaints except it hangs too damn low.

If I'm not allowed to drive it onto the lift, and watch the "mechanic" work on my car for every step of the way - it's a big F.U. then me peeling out of the driveway. Even at the paint shop with no engine, tranny, wires, interior or anything I still show up to check the progress every day.

:lol: :lol: I figured most people wouldn't like those comments, but they're from the heart from almost all techs. Sure... If you bring in a 5.0... I will probably be real cool with you, let ya come in the shop... Hang out... Ask questions.. all the good stuff. It's the people that just stand there and STARE at you! Not say one word... Watch you like a hawk that really gets on your nerves. As for the driving the cars in the bays... Every shop I've worked at disallows this because of insurance purposes. You drive it in the bay and hit something, you can sue us for damages... Hum... I don't think so.

And Tunedin... Ever seen Devils Advocate? Yes, that's you going to hell. :rlaugh: