Idle Air Adjuster plate doesnt work

Luvmy88

Oct 27, 2003
So whats next?

I still can't get my stang to idle more than the base 650rpm the computer keeps it at.

I've set TPS, reset EEC, used feeler gauges on the throttle stop to make sure it was correct. I've done this over and over again for the last month mind you, thats when I picked up the Idle Adjuster plate. It doesnt help at all. I even tried turning it upside down and tried, still same result. Checked for vacuum leaks, even replaced a couple old lines, no difference.

New IAB, TPS sensors, and new EEC (A9L), EEC Relay too.

I have a B303 cam with stock heads, Cobra intake. I removed the smog & a/c equipment, and the EGR is connected, but no vacuum line. No codes to report from the computer (of course I've reset the freakin thing 25 times in the last 5 days...)

help help help before I drop a match in the gas tank.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Luvmy88 said:
So whats next?

I still can't get my stang to idle more than the base 650rpm the computer keeps it at.

I've set TPS, reset EEC, used feeler gauges on the throttle stop to make sure it was correct. I've done this over and over again for the last month mind you, thats when I picked up the Idle Adjuster plate. It doesnt help at all. I even tried turning it upside down and tried, still same result. Checked for vacuum leaks, even replaced a couple old lines, no difference.

New IAB, TPS sensors, and new EEC (A9L), EEC Relay too.

I have a B303 cam with stock heads, Cobra intake. I removed the smog & a/c equipment, and the EGR is connected, but no vacuum line. No codes to report from the computer (of course I've reset the freakin thing 25 times in the last 5 days...)

help help help before I drop a match in the gas tank.

:bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang:

yeah i went through the same thing as you a few months ago.... what finally did it, was cranking up the idle stop screw and unplugging the iab. set the idle to where you want it, and adjust the tps. shut the car off, and plug the iab back in. Got mine to where ever i wanted it... someone on here said that the computer will eventually start cutting fuel from the injectors to try to lower the idle, but it hasnt yet. Also you said that the egr valve was still on the intake, but no lines going to it?? did you cap off the vacuum nipple??? thats what was causing my car to surge.... good luck!!!!

I capped off the line going to the EGR, but didnt cap the EGR itself.

I tried the same with the throttle stop screw and IAB unplugged, then reset TPS,just like you mentioned, but after I do this procedure, and plug the IAB back in, the car wont rev right. It reves up, then down, then up, then down again, and finally drops to like 600rpm. PITA to drive the car that way...

Yep, converted to mass air. The only real odds are: mass air conversion (stock meter, which I think is junk how do you test?) bcam, Cobra intake, on a new rebuild w/ forged pistons.

And I'm beginning to think the match in the gas tank won't be enough, I'm thinking of something a little more ellaborate. But make no mistake about it, I won't give the car away, it will go up in flames. And I will video tape the whole thing. :notnice:

Well, time to blow her up. I was thinking of putting a brick on the gas pedal and listen to it come apart, but I'm beginning to think a 1/4 stick of dynamite in the gas tank would be cooler looking...

hi
just a thought, are you setting the base idle to 88 specs or specs for the year computer you are using. 88-91 rwd cars except HO stang is 0.010 then 1-1/2 turns on the stop screw "91-94 HO 0.025(feler gauge still installed) reconnect battery start engine and run at idle for two mins adjust to curb idle setting and remove feeler gauge"
this is out of the snap on troubleshooter guide.

Couldn't ever get mine to idle where I wanted it without a chip to reset the idle speed in the ecu - everything new, first class mods/assembly, tried every idle resetting procedure known to man - including using the plate and holding my mouth just right while simultaneously turning throttle stop with iab unplugged and farting in the general direction of the air filter. Some computers/systems are more stubborn than others. The idle speed did increase slightly, but only for the duration of the fart. Chip solved it immediately -- first start up after plug in -- right up to 900 rpm, no problems.

Michael Yount said:
Couldn't ever get mine to idle where I wanted it without a chip to reset the idle speed in the ecu - everything new, first class mods/assembly, tried every idle resetting procedure known to man - including using the plate and holding my mouth just right while simultaneously turning throttle stop with iab unplugged and farting in the general direction of the air filter. Some computers/systems are more stubborn than others. The idle speed did increase slightly, but only for the duration of the fart. Chip solved it immediately -- first start up after plug in -- right up to 900 rpm, no problems.

What chip did you go with?

AutoLogic (see sig) - magic's not in the chip; it's in the tuner/chip burner. Don't go mail order. Find someone you can actually take your car to so you can change things then drive/dyno/race and adjust. I thought sure you'd want to know which fart I went with.

thanks for all the input. I've torn down the top of the motor to check injectors (different problem) and foudn both oil and gas in the last few runners of my upper and lower...

Will try the idle again when I figure out WTF there is oil and gas both in my upper in take.