Idle And Shut Off

Jesse mayne

Oct 1, 2014
I just bought my 88 lx 5speed 5.0l. It idled rough so I got a TPS for it. Before I put it on the car began shutting off as soon as I started and would only stay on if i gave it gas or tapped the TPS with a hammer. After it shuts off it starts the second time and stays running but boggs so low it almost shuts off. Im wondering if it is the TPS again or if I have a more serious problem or some other sensor. P.S it continues this even with the new TPS

• Sponsors (?)

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 159,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.