Engine Idle And Vacuum

RangerJoe

I leave the horn on while driving
15 Year Member
Apr 26, 2010
Georgia
I posted a thread earlier concerning the lack of vacuum with my new FTI cam. Here is a little video with the vacuum gauge attached. Looks like I have abut 7 inches of vacuum at idle, but the needle does jump around some.

Does the needle look like it is suffering from a vacuum leak, or is that normal with hard hitting cam? BTW, idle is about 800 rpm.

Joe

View: http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HjnKehVm7_k

• Sponsors (?)

The loud whistle is a combination of the bbk TB, but I believe mostly the electric fans. I realized they were running after I took the video and they are a little more pronounced sounding in the video. The engine doesn't seem that loud in person.

Yes, power brakes are hit or miss depending on what the engine is doing. Do you think the needle jumping around is normal for a big cam.

Joe

I don't know what the loft is at 0.05, but max lift is .613/.588. I understand the n lack of vacuum and why, I am just more or n leas concerned with fhe needle jumping around. Is that normal with a big cam? I know on a normal car, the needle jumping can signify a vacuum leak.

Joe

Well, low and behold....the mysterious vacuum leak was found. It now idles with 12" of vacuum, has power brakes again, and the needle is much more stable.

Joe

The pcv valve was popped out. My wiring harness is dropped down behind the engine and it makes it difficult to see behind the intake. I had run my hand along the vaccum line and felt it connected to the pcv, but didn't realize it wasn't seated. It took an experienced mechanic 2 seconds to recognize that little sound over everything else going on under the hood. Someone else pointed out a whistling noise in my video, but i attributed it to the TB and electric fans. Simple fix, I was just a little blind to it.

Joe

The pcv valve was popped out. My wiring harness is dropped down behind the engine and it makes it difficult to see behind the intake. I had run my hand along the vaccum line and felt it connected to the pcv, but didn't realize it wasn't seated. It took an experienced mechanic 2 seconds to recognize that little sound over everything else going on under the hood. Someone else pointed out a whistling noise in my video, but i attributed it to the TB and electric fans. Simple fix, I was just a little blind to it.

Joe
That little bugger is hard to see and easy to dislodge just enough to cause problems. Glad you got it fixed.