Idle problems

I decided to adjust my valves/rockers since they were getting a bit noisy after I would drive around for awhile. I'm pretty sure I went through the correct steps... pulled the valve covers, turned the crank to TDC, pulled distrubtor cap (with wires still attached), made sure rotor was pointing at #1 cylinder, adjusted those two valves by loosening them to let the hyd. lifters relax, waited a minute, then slowly tightened them down one at a time until I couldn't turn the push rod with two fingers (zero lash right?), then tightened it an additional 1/2 turn based on my camshaft instructions (Edelbrock Performer Plus), then turned the crank 90 deg. (1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8), adjusted that cylinder and so on.
Now when I first start it, it starts right up just like normal, runs for a few minutes then wants to die unless I keep giving it gas. It sounds great when it's idling, no strange noises, doesn't sound rough at all. I can get it to start right back up after it dies, but it seems that the warmer it gets the faster it wants to quit. After awhile, it will idle for about 5 seconds before the RPM's drop and dies.
What do you guys think? I didn't mess with the dist. aside from taking the cap off and putting it back on. Didn't remove any wires, only valve covers. I'm at a loss...

• Sponsors (?)

If it does turn out to be a wiped cam lobe, what all does this damage when it happens? Does it normally just mess up the cam and lifters? Any other carnage I should prepare myself for if that's what happened? I hope it turns out to be something else, but bracing myself for the worst at this point...

I'm running a Pertronix Flame Thrower distributor and a Flame Thrower coil. It does have vac. advance. Vac. hose from dist. to carb is pretty new and in good shape. Vac. canister on dist. looks good, how would I check that for a leak?
Remove the distributor cap and rotor, unplug the distributor vac. hose from the carb and suck on it while watching for movement of the breaker plate in the distributor (this is the plate your Pertronix is screwed down to)
As for wiped cam lobes, I don't think that's the case here (but I could be wrong) With wiped lobes the rockers will keep loosening till the lobe and lifter are destroyed. Metal everywhere in the oil and engine.:eek:

Possibly. What ignition are you running? Also look for a vacuum leak, including the vacuum pod on the distributor if you have one with it.

I was thinking a vacuum problem myself. Did you retime the motor after you adjusted the valves ? Double check for vacuum leaks and also check your fast idle vs regular idle setings on your carb.