Idle woes with new cams/need some suggestions

Mush-Hog

May 24, 2009
South Carolina
Just installed my comp 274H cams on my 96 GT. Anyhow started up and broke the cams and springs in. idles fine at 800 rpm until i put the car in gear (auto) idle drops out to 500 then finally dies. Anyhow, i took the tps loose and manually adjusted the throttle set screw to around 1000 rpms. I put the car in gear, doesnt die, but has an erratic idle 600-750 bouncing around alot.
Doesnt like to sit still at a light, idle gets worse. Anyhow, i need some suggestions to get me by until next saturday when i get paid and can take the car to the tuner/about 25 miles away through lots of redlights. Worried about it stalling everytime i stop. Dyno tune i know will cure my problems, just need to get it there. Thanks.

BTW these cams still lope really hard at 1000 rpms and pull like a mule at 4K and up.

• Sponsors (?)

why would you go with those cams on if you cost is an issue if any problems arise? That's a large NPI cam for a daily driver. What stall is in your car, and what mods do you have to support these cams?

cost is not an issue, just for this week, i had to buy a 1200 dollar set of 38" swampers for my truck, so a little short this week. mustang is not a daily driver. stock stall converter

supporting mods
4.10 gearset
built 4r70w with upgrades and transgo reprogram kit
80mm mass air
bbk cold air with k &n filter
75mm pp tb and intake elbow
pi manifold with hps adaptors
2.5" non catted x pipe and mil eliminators
3" pipes and flowmasters after the x pipe
180 deg t stat
electric water pump
beehive springs and new retainers and valve seals

i dont think the stall is going to be an issue, if i punch it from a stand still it will leave a nice set of 20-30 ft snakes in the road. which is what i want. no complaints except for idle, pulls really hard from 2000 and when it gets wound up to about 4k or so it feels like it gets another kick in the ass and pulls really hard all the way up to 6k. very happy with these hog cams. probably will just let it sit until next week, but it has so much power now. kinda hard to resist.

you need a tune :nice:

most cams require a tune to run correctly otherwise you will be stalling out EVERYWHERE...and undo what you did with the throttle screw..thats a no no.. and the erratic idleing is from the lope in the cams...even with a tune you'll still have it when you come to a stop ar just have the car idleing...its what cams do...but with a tune, you won't stall out..

so go get tuned and your problem will go away!