Engine Idling Problem

OK guys this is starting to get annoying. I didnt use my mustang all winter long. I may have started it 2-3 times over the course of 5-6 months. Right off the bat 3 weeks ago when i took the cover off my battery was dead obviously. I replaced the battery but the car wouldnt idle right. It would idle for a second and then just die. If i held the accelerator at 800-900 for a couple minutes to warm it up and it would idle fine for awhile. That night i was at a stop light with my lights,fogs,heat and everything kept going dim and the idle would surge. Battery level would flucuate and it would barely hold itself. That week the following was done to the car BBK Shorty Headers, BBK O/R X-pipe, 65mm Throttle body, Cold Air Intake, New plugs, New Wires, Oil Change/Filter change, Chip from BAMA Performance. Car still has the same idling problem. Now as far as how much load is on the battery from all the electronics i have, is just a subwoofer and the car ran fine before the winter with it in. The question is what could be causing this problem? Could it be a weak alternator? Old fuel? or what?

• Sponsors (?)

Look under the tech sticky note posts for @jrichker 's surging idle checklist. Or use search to pop it up. Then print out, laminate and bind a copy for your toolbox. Then print and get a huge 3 ring binder for as many of his help lists that you find. There will be other how to and build threads you will also want. These are for you to read and memorize while sitting in the easy chair. Once you get the concepts, you will quickly be better than the mechanics.

IN THE MEAN TIME,
You can also go to the auto parts store to get an inexpensive OBD1 code reader. And while you are there, have them do a load test on your charging system (for free). And have them bench test anything new you buy before putting it on your car. You never know what got dropped in shipping.

Siphon or pump out the old fuel as a first step.

Unless you add some STABIL fuel stabilizer to gasoline before you store a car, you are asking for trouble. STABIL fuel stabilizer is available at Walmart or your friendly local auto parts store.

You guys with idle/stall problems could save a lot of time chasing your tails if you would go through the Surging Idle Checklist. Over 50 different people contributed information to it. The first two posts have all the fixes, and steps through the how to find and fix your idle problems without spending a lot of time and money. It includes how to dump the computer codes quickly and simply as one of the first steps. I continue to update it as more people post fixes or ask questions. You can post questions to that sticky and have your name and idle problem recognized. The guys with original problems and fixes get their posts added to the main fix. :D

It's free, I don't get anything for the use of it except knowing I helped a fellow Mustang enthusiast with his car. At last check, it had more than 209,000 hits, which indicates it does help fix idle problems quickly and inexpensively.