If you have underdrive pulley's, Respond!

Defleshed

Satanic Mechanic
Nov 30, 2003
In Torment, In Hell
I'm looking at underdrive pulley's now. They're cheap, they add power, and they're relatively quick to install. Plus plus plus. Ok, what about the downsides. I've read they really do a number on your battery and alternator. I've heard the power steering f's up because of them, as well, the car can overheat. I've even heard the headlights and lights in the dash dims moderately, and sometimes, severely... The heater f's up too, i've read.

So my questions to you is,
if you have em installed, were they worth it. have you had any problems post install, whose did you use (im leaning on steeda). and if you had the chance to do over, would you buy em again.

thanks a lot for helping your very confused stang friend!

• Sponsors (?)

Doh!!! Here we go again lol. Ok man heres the deal. Most of the downside you are hearing is from incorrectly installing the damn things to start with.
1. They are not a piece of cake, especially on the new ones, you have to have a harmonic dampaner pully puller to get the crank pulley off. If you have that and an air wrench, you are pretty much set.
2. People ruin their cranks, and leak oil because they did not use sealer in the notched key hole in the crank pulley. You put some sealer in that bad boy, torque it on correctly and your set on that end.
3. They wont ruin your alt or water pump. I have had underdrive pulleys on both of my Mustangs. The '90 5.0 I have I did have to take the alt pulley off due to lights dimming ect... Those pulleys were ASP pulleys. I noticed it right off the bat and took it off, no problems to date and they have been on the car for almost 6 years. My '03 GT pulleys are from Steeda. I have had 0 dimming on anything unless I am at a light, stopped, have the radio blasting, a/c on, and roll both windows up and down a lot, then yes I have some dimming of lights in and out of the car. Just sitting at a light I am fine and have no issues. They have been on the car for about 3 months now.
4. They will not ruin a belt. Some pulleys require a new belt. The ones from Steeda do NOT. They use the factory belt. Again I have had 0 problems with mine so far. Some pulley sets do require a shorter belt though. If someone doesnt use a smaller belt then slipping will result, thus messing up the Alt, Water Pump and anything else that the belt is supposed to run.
Im not trying to be bitchy man lol Im just giving what I know about this situation. This has been a big issue on here if they are worth it or not. I happen to think they are. I noticed a nice SOTP feel above 4000rpm after they were installed. Best of luck man :nice:

lolol gotcha. ok scale of 1 to 10 (10 being like header install hard) how hard are they to install? i mean, how mentally prepared should i be for frustration, and how many cement blocks should i have ready to smash with my fist.

They are easy to install if you have the right tools. Get/rent a harmonic balancer puller / pulley tool and make sure you follow the proper torque specs/procedures when you install (along with sealing the crank key slot with the proper sealant) and you won't have any problem. Remember not to use the Steeda bolt for final assembly - only use it to start the pulley on the crank. Then back it off and use the stock bolt to finish torquing. If you have access to an air compressor/air tools like I did, it makes the install a breeze.

SOTP - didn't notice a thing.

Track - was pretty much high 98 mph pre-pullies, last time out I was hitting 99.8-99.9s. Could be random, could be the pullies. At least they aren't expensive, and I guess every little bit helps. There aren't many "mods" for $160 that might actually do something for your car, so I guess you could look at it that way. Although, I have a feeling my Raptor shift light ($100) will help my ETs more than the pullies! :LOL:

Defleshed said:
Bman did you feel any downsides to the pulley's? such as anything i listed above?

and hey on the topic of cheap stuff, how's your plenum working for you? a plenum and hood pins are probably going to be my next purchases.

I haven't experienced any downsides whatsoever besides a lighter wallet!

Plenum:

SOTP - a little - it was noticeable but not crazy-noticeable.

ET/Track - still TBD. Waiting for the tracks to open.

I also experienced no problems whatsoever with the plenum/TB combo (no whistling, MILs, or anything else like that.) Also, the install is a breeze with the hardest part being getting the stock inlet tube over the larger TB! It was a pain but it's definitely easy.

Scale of 1-10 installs (10 being the most difficult):

1.) Putting headers on my '94 Probe GT - 9!!!!! It sucked!!!!

2.) pullies - 3

3.) TB/Plenum - 2

4.) Removing front bumper cover and installing new bumper cover - 2

5.) Installing chin spoiler - 2

6.) installing springs - 4 (mostly because you need to take your time and use lots of jackstands/etc.)

7.) installing Raptor Shift light - 4 because it's very tight under the dash and by the PCM. Otherwise, it's simple.

8.) installing pedal covers - 5. Also sucked for how easy it SHOULD be. I would install 2 sets of pullies on any stang before I tried to install pedal covers again!

9.) DS safety loop - 5. It's just tedious because you need to pull the carpet up, but it's not that bad. It's definitely a little nerve-wracking drilling holes into the floorpan though!

10.) installing speedcal - 2

11.) Installing shifter - 2

Have fun! Might want to do springs before the pullies if you're into that look, but they won't help your times (might even hurt them a little.) But the look is way better!

I put pulleys on my car. I think they're "HAWK" brand. Some ****ty ones off ebay. Pulleys are Pulleys I figured. Cost about 85 bucks. The engine seems to rev up faster and seemed to help some of the low end power. Its always raining around here to really know for sure. My lights dim like a bitch at lights. You can hear the heater fan slow way down too, then you rev it up and it works fine. No starting problems or dead batterys though. I say go for it! BTW I put headers on a 96 Probe GT. That was a pain in the ass. Gotta take the subframe off, take the intake manifold off, the exhaust. Put some pacesetters on there, they dont even bolt up worth a damn and leak like no other. They dont even bolt up to their PACESETTER CATBACK! lol what a joke

i have a full system on my car (see sig) and the guy at the audio shop suggested not adding U/D pullies if i wanted to use my a/c when stoped ever again. :nonono:

Dreams2Reality said:
i've had them on my 03 for 10 months, and the only problem i have is that it seems my driver side window goes down(and up) faster than my passenger side. :D :shrug:

this is true for me too. maybe its a defect in fords?? the only thing i could think of is that most of my alt juice is goin to my audio system

I got the Steeda pullies installed, and im very pleased with them. I have had no problems whatsoever (knock on wood) I live in a mild climate so cant really vouch for pumpin the A/C on a humid a** day in August.

Alot of people on here seem, (or at least from some of the stuff i've read) to not really like them, or they say they didnt feel anything. I had mine done the same time i put in the K&N FIPK and i felt quite a noticable gain. I personally recommend them. Cant say about if your pumpin a 1,000 watt amp to some JL's though. Thats my .02 Steeda get's a :nice: from me on the pulleys.

No major issues with mine just at night when my lights are on and I stop at a light the lights will dim and the voltage guage dips below halfway. When I step on the gas it goes right back up. I installed mine at the same time as the throttle body and plenum so I can't say that the pullies made a difference but the combo of the three made some real nice SOTP gains.