If you were building a budget drag car

Finn McCool

Sep 14, 2005
Lexington, KY
I'll try to make this short and simple. I'm planning on buying a foxbody to turn into a weekend drag car. What's the most economical way to do this?

My plan right now is to just find a good body somewhere, maybe a car with no engine/trans and build my own motor/tranny for it. Don't really know where to start with mods, never worked on a Mustang before.

• Sponsors (?)

welcome to the addiction!

I'd say start with a 5.0 body to start with if you can. What price range are you into..........how will this car be used? Bracket racing? Heads up?

if your talking bracket racing its fairly cheap to get into. You dont have to be the fastest guy out there........just the most consistant! i raced brackets for a few years before they closed my favorite local track........ just buy an old Fox 83,84,85 GT and put a C-4 in it with a small stall........and foot brake it for awhile. Tune engine, plugs, wires, air filter, till you get the best time you can with it stock. Then throw on a set of cheater slicks (better griping tires) a set of used gears from an old ranger, ford truck etc....and watch those times fall.

I'll be more than happy to help you (with info) to get ya started. Just ask!
good luck
Jack

First the words "budget" and "race car" should never be used together. It's an oxymoron.

That said. How serious of a race car are you thinking of building? There are several things you can do to really make the Foxbody a great racecar that don't cost a lot of money.

Power is great, but the chassis needs to be addressed long before power is introduced.

If I were to build a race car, I'd build it like so.....

1.) Find the cleanest, rust free, 4 cylinder coupe I could.
2.) I'd strip the car to a bare shell.
3.) I'd sell NOTHING off it until I finished building the car. Never know what you might need.
4.) All Foxbody are spot welded together. Grind and strip those seams and stitch weld them up. I would make a jig to hold the car square and level when I did this. Why? You don't want to stitch weld the car crooked. keep it square and flat and it will be easier to make it go straight down the track.
5.) I'd spend $1500 on Race suspension (for example.....the front and rear packages that UPR sells)
6.) Put a roll cage in it that exceed the requirement for your planned fastest ET.
7.) I susbscribe to the thought process of if it doesn't make it go faster, it doesn't need it. Sound deadening, don't need it. Back seat, don't need it. But, of course, consult the rules for the sancioning body you will race under. if you are gonna race just the local track, check them, if you are gonna run NMRA, check with them. They WILL have different rules. NMRA, for example, requires the interior to look stock, while the local track won't likely care.
8.) I wouldn't seriously race with anything less than a 9", so I'd buy one of those too.
9.) Now it's time for an engine. What kind of power do you want? Do you want something that you have to tinker with or something that's reliable and fun and requires minimal maintenance? Sure that custom EFI twin turbo, nitrous 302 sounds like a cool thing to play with, but what's the reliability and maintenance gonna be like? What's the reliability and maintence of a mild 552 big block gonna be like?
10.) Now what kind of transmission do you want? manual or auto?

This is a lot more involved than you may have thought. And if this was gonna be for a job to earn extra income (BWAHH HA HA HA HA.....sorry), it'd be way worse.

Michael Yount said:
Concentrate on light weight (stripping) and a suspension/tires that work to give you great traction at launch. It doesn't take a whole bunch of HP to go pretty quickly if you don't weigh much and you can put all the power to the ground.
:stupid:
There is many, many things you can do to light weight the car. If fact if you google it there is a fella who documented doing this. Also try to find a coupe or lx hatch, as they tend to be the most light weight.

tjm73 said:
First the words "budget" and "race car" should never be used together. It's an oxymoron.
(BWAHH HA HA HA HA.....sorry), it'd be way worse.

:rlaugh: Absolute truth... Yoda has spoken...

That said, here's some ways to save some $$$...

On a budget? do the junkyard upgrade...

Gears - 87-88 T-Bird Turbo Coupe rear axle - disc brakes and 3.55 or 3.73 gears in one package for $125-$300. Add another $100-$200 or so to complete the brake upgrade.

94-95 Mustang GT MAF - $40-$100. It is 70 MM instead of the stock 55 MM on regular stangs built prior to 94. It uses a slip on duct on the side that goes to the throttle body and a 4 bolt flange on the other. You need a $25-$35 flange adapter from Pro-M to fit the stock slip on air ducting that goes to the air box. Wiring plugs right in with no changes. *1

95-97 Ford Explorer intake manifold & throttle body $150-$300. The intake manifold flows 220 CFM +, much better than stock. Throttle body is 65 MM, bigger than the 60 MM on stock stangs. I got a 96 with EGR passages that match the stock setup, so my smog gear works just like factory. You’ll need a 65 MM EGR spacer & new gaskets for $65-$90 so you have a place to mount the EGR & throttle linkage.

3G alternator from 94-95 Mustangs or other Ford. $20-$120. A must have to make the electrical system work like it should. You’ll need a 4 gauge power wire and a 125-135 amp fuse to go with it about $15- $30.

Lincoln MK VIII electric fan -$40-$160. Free up some HP by not having to drive the stock fan. The 3G alternator upgrade is a must have prerequisite before you do the MK VIII fan. You won’t have enough electrical power if you don’t do the 3G upgrade.

*1.) I got a metal flange adapter from Powered by Ford for $35 and tax. That was over a year ago. Summit Racing may also have one too.