ignition help needed

texastanggt

Dec 15, 2003
w-s nc
ok im having problems outta my 89 gt i replaced the solenoid switch today twice the first one was bad then my old man was like you did it wrong when i wired it up of course its too cold and dark to go check my grounds right now its got a 2 week old battery thats gone dead so heres my ? does ne one have a schematic for hooking up the solenoid cause my friend took the old one off and didnt rember where the wires went so which wires go where on the solenoid posts if i can rule out that its not the grounds or solenoid and battery i guess ill have to deal with a new starter and higher output altenator (since my underdrive pullies are reaking havoc on the altenator like hardly any voltage with the lights and heat on at night) could the pullies slowing down the altenator be the problem with the dead battery? ne help would be great its also got brand new terminals on the battery so i can rule that out :bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Well on mine everything but the starter wire is on the post closest to the battery & the only one on the post closest to the strut tower is for the starter. Then there is the single wire connected to that tiny post.

Hope that helps
Mike

MSTANG said:
mine has like 5 connectors on that front post & just the one on the back post...sorry best I can tell ya.

Just put the starter wire on the back post & the rest on the front one & you should be straight.
this is correct. one side is a positive distribution lug, and the other is ONLY the starter wire. the solenoid trigger goes on the little stud.

some cars have a lot of junk on the hot post, depending upon if amps, higher output alternators, etc were added. the most common scenario in terms of what is on which lug, is to have the starter wire on the lug closest the radiator and the battery juice lug towards the firewall.

good luck.