Ignition key lock cylinder

Ok, so I took off all of the trim to replace the key lock cylinder, however in my research it says that the cylinder has to be in the "run position" in order to be removed. The downside is that I can't get it into that position, for if I could, I wouldnt replace the frickin thing. Is there a way around this?

• Sponsors (?)

Here is what you do. Find a punch that fits the pin on the underside of the column. If you have the trim off you will understand this. he metal is soft but it does take a good wack to drive the pin up. Then you hit the pin up high enough the cylinder should come out. The end of the cylinder is not broken off and in the column. You need a good pair needle nose pliers to pull it out. There is a gear that is in there too and youy will have to remove it as well. Take note at the how its positioned. After you remove the broken part yo uwill have to turn the switch to the run position. Then slide the new one in and turn it back to the lock position. This sets the lock pin.

Thats it.

In the future, please don't "bump" your thread after only 2 hours and 6 minutes, and then bump it again another hour and 7 minutes later. Just a peeve of mine I guess.

In the future, please don't "bump" your thread after only 2 hours and 6 minutes, and then bump it again another hour and 7 minutes later. Just a peeve of mine I guess.

In the future, these types of messages would probably best served as a PM instead of in the thread, just so you can get a post.

I bumped it a couple times because I really needed to get the thing moved. I live in an apartment complex and it has to be moved at least every 48 hours.

Thanks to those who helped me technically.

peeves shouldn't be mentioned on stangnet, lol.. and the punch method works, just dont crack the aluminum housing..or you can break away the aluminum housing around the pin and pull the lock cylinder out, but that means your cylinder will fall out at random times or you have to go junkyarding for a new piece, it's not the entire column though it should unbolt

Looks like I might have to call a locksmith on this one. I was using a point and hammering at the pin in the cylinder but the bastard wouldnt budge. Not really sure what to do. Any more suggestions? -- Other than breaking the casing to the cylinder, lol. And I'm pretty sure it is the whole column.