Ignition problem?

94GTStang

Founding Member
Oct 26, 2001
Oklahoma City
For the past couple of days, the 94GT has been acting up. It starts just fine and idles the best it can. Once I get to about 1/4 mile down the road, it begins to pop out the exhaust and really struggles to move (bucks) and to keep running. However, once it finally overcomes whatever is ailing it, it runs just fine and the problem doesn't show itself again. It only does this when I drive it from a cold start.

I did some research and I checked the MAF sensor and it was still nice and clean. I went ahead and changed the ignition control module which seemed to help it a little. Where else can I look? If it was spark plugs or a fuel pump, wouldn't it be doing it all the time? I'm kinda lost as to where to go and any help will be nice!

Eric

• Sponsors (?)

I had this exact same problem last year before I changed my ECT sensor, and haven't had that problem since. I'm guessing the sensor was showing a lower voltage (higher resistance) so the computer thought the engine was colder than it really was and just dumped lots of fuel until the O2's kicked-in, causing the car to buck and almost die, but then it ran perfect afterwards.