ignition security?

i've read about the fuel pump cut-off, and the battery cut-off but i was thinking if there's any way to get a switch to engage the ignition? like you have a switch wired into the ignition switch that you'd have to flip before turning the key. and it may sound dumb, but i was thinking of just hiding it out in the open. since i have an LX that flog light switch under the headlights is just blank. so if i were to get a GT replacement switch for it, make it look like the LX does and wire that to the ignition...

good or bad idea?

P.S. i could even go and wire the fuel pump cut-off to that instead of the ignition..

• Sponsors (?)

quick question on the GT fog switch, is it a seperate switch from the headlights? or is it you push one in, the both go in? i forgot to ask that and if it is "both" than i'd have to find a new way...

and thanks for the link, this will come in handy.

IIRC it is a separate switch for the fogs.

Just be aware that any of these switches can fail and allow the car to stall in traffic. If that happens while making a left turn in front of a SUC-V, that could be bad.

Good luck.

here comes the computer geek side of me...

i didn't really explain in full what i was thinking. today i had to help a friend that had a thing mounted in his sentra that you had to use a remote to unlock the wheel, the remote broke and there was a push button wired as a backup behind the dash that he pulled out. he was getting sick of pushing this button to start the car, so i rewired it for him.

that's where i got the idea. i thought it'd be sweet to get something so you push the bottom, turn the key, and let go. not actually have it keep a connection. and being into electircal stuff, i'd even think about making some sort of circuit to hold the connection after i let go of the switch, so some what like an alarm.

this was just an idea i had this morning. you have people with the fuel cut-offs and everything, i was just trying to think of a better way, and hiding it in that fog light switch seemed somewhat neat to me.

good idea on the starter solenoid though, that actually sounds better.

you can use a momentary switch on the starter interlock circuit (the momentary switch idea sounds like what you were talking about).

There are only about 1000 ways to do this stuff. Dagg's idea about using an SPDT relay is a good way to do it IMHO. I wire them so that the [cut] stock wires go through the common and NC terminals. Then when the cut-off is active, the relay becomes active. Doing it this way leaves less chance of an issue occuring while driving.

Good luck.

If you really want something elegant then get a TwEECer. Position 1 of the Tweecer is the default position. You would put your valet tune (or non-operational tune) in this position and keep your "good" tune in one of the other 3 positions. Your options would be pretty much endless. You could tell the EEC that 25MPH is the max speed limit, tell it that the fuel cutoff is 2000 RPM, that spark advance is always 0, or any other number of things. If you want to disable the vehicle, you simply pull the selector panel (roughly 2 inch by 1 1/2 inch) and put it in your pocket causing the thing to default to the valet position. Nothing short of pulling the EEC will get around it. It's a pretty safe bet that the bad guy isn't going to have a spare EEC lying around or would know what to do with it if he did.