I'm a little lost with the fuel pump

stangoroma

Jan 10, 2010
hey dudes im new to posting on this fourm and like what i read all the time, ok i have change my fuel pump and its good(hot wired it and worked) i have a multimeter what i want to do is check from the pump forward (fuses are fine first thing i checked) how would i check the two plugs that the pump goes in too. i have a 2003 gt 5sp

• Sponsors (?)

Check the PATS system.

First, I am assuming that your car won't start and a bad Fuel pump is suspected. Next, assume that no major re-works of the fuel system have been done.

So, have you considered the possibility that the anti-theft system (PATS) is preventing the car from starting?

What is the theft light doing?

Do you hear the fuel pump running for a few seconds when the key is cycled on/off?

The 1996-1998 PATS system disables the starter. Car does not CRANK.

The 1999-2004 PATS system disables the fuel/spark. Car cranks but does not start.

hey dudes im new to posting on this fourm and like what i read all the time, ok i have change my fuel pump and its good(hot wired it and worked) i have a multimeter what i want to do is check from the pump forward (fuses are fine first thing i checked) how would i check the two plugs that the pump goes in too. i have a 2003 gt 5sp

Hot wiring the fuel pump on a 99-04 mustang is a bad idea. these cars have variable voltage pumps controled by the computer to regulate the fuel pressure. if you hot wire it into 12 v, things will go bad in a hurry. The fuel pressure will spike, and the computer will not like it and may not allow you to start the engine.

FWITW, I assumed the OP was hot wiring the FP to "prove" that the new one worked.

The OP didn't state it, but I thought it possible the reason the original FP was replaced was due to a "no start" condition. The no start continued even after the FP was replaced.

Unfortunately, this would not be the first time a fuel pump has been replaced due to a PATS issue. It does happen often enough that I thought it made the most sense to start there.

I figured if it turned out NOT to be a PATS issues, then the lengthy/difficult process of diagnosing the Fuel pump driver module (FPDM) could begin.

Side note. This is an example of why all of the details can be important. What is the year/make/model/mileage of your car? What was the original symptom? What was changed before and after? What were the results? These critical details can make a difference in how to best attack a problem. It may avoid checking/replacing things that are unlikely to resolve the original complaint. <jumps off soapbox>.

FWITW, I assumed the OP was hot wiring the FP to "prove" that the new one worked.

The OP didn't state it, but I thought it possible the reason the original FP was replaced was due to a "no start" condition. The no start continued even after the FP was replaced.

Unfortunately, this would not be the first time a fuel pump has been replaced due to a PATS issue. It does happen often enough that I thought it made the most sense to start there.

I figured if it turned out NOT to be a PATS issues, then the lengthy/difficult process of diagnosing the Fuel pump driver module (FPDM) could begin.

Side note. This is an example of why all of the details can be important. What is the year/make/model/mileage of your car? What was the original symptom? What was changed before and after? What were the results? These critical details can make a difference in how to best attack a problem. It may avoid checking/replacing things that are unlikely to resolve the original complaint. <jumps off soapbox>.

:stupid: