I'm about to call it quits

Do you have the stock maf you can try? My car one day started to run really bad and the maf went out. I have my stock maf, o2's and other sensors you could borrow. I'm not working tomorrow or thursday and we could try using my tweecer rt but you would need a laptop becuase my mom and sis have mine while they are out of town. But of course if we get it working you will have to help me with mine.

• Sponsors (?)

bjl95mustang said:
Do you have the stock maf you can try? My car one day started to run really bad and the maf went out. I have my stock maf, o2's and other sensors you could borrow. I'm not working tomorrow or thursday and we could try using my tweecer rt but you would need a laptop becuase my mom and sis have mine while they are out of town. But of course if we get it working you will have to help me with mine.

I have my stock MAF, I have the electronics from it in my C&L which is on the car right now. But my stock MAF went out a while back, and although I cleaned it and a lot of dirt and chit came off, I still think it's out of whack. I'm gonna put the pro-m back on along with the 19lb injectors tomorrow. I do not have a laptop, but my pops does, I might be able to borrow his. Unfortunately the car is immobile, and that would require you coming to killeen. I'm not doing much tomorrow afternoon, but thursday i promised the g/f i would spend the day with her since she's going out of town for a while and we won't see each other for another week at least. Hey I'm up for helping you with yours, I could use all the experience I can get. I'm free all weekend. Lemme know, thanks dude.

Well what does it wont even idle right mean? Is it surging and dieing? More info.

Could just be the usual aftermarket cam woes, some cars are affected much more then others... Whats the LSA on the cam?

I dont understand the whole " well the distributer could be one tooth off". I dont think thats even possible. U stick the distributer in and spin it to its proper spot. If you cant spin around enough to line up the rotor to where u need it, then u pull it out and stick it back in. Worse thing that would happen is the timing would be way low or way high.

Good luck!

CManT1914 said:
Any easy way to see if the injectors are bad/good? I did buy them used with 3000 miles on them. :shrug:
get a good pair of plug wire pliers and while the car is running remove one wire at a time and check for a change in idle. when you pull off a wire and nothing changes that indicates your dead cylinder. try this to isolate your misfire. i doubt your o2's are bad although if they get whacked or something when you were doing your head swap they can be damaged.

CManT1914 said:
Came to my dad's shop this morning, where the stang has been parked for a week and a half, to start it up and test drive it. Now I just set the timing last friday, and it has sat ever since. Fired it up, and she runs like sh it. WTFH?! She wouldn't even hardly idle right. She kept missing and crap, I'm about to throw in the towel. Looks like I overestimated my ability to do this job. I am completely out of ideas as to what to check on this POS. I'm about to say f*** it and throw the stock crap back on. :fuss:

Chris, my brother Nick (ramairmustang) had the same problem you did when he put his TWs and stage 1 cam in his 89 GT. It took a while for him to get it ro run right, but now the car's running great and he's happy as hell. Don't put the stock stuff back on (blasphemy!!!) and keep at it. You'll be much happier in the end. :nice:
Tim

18mustangs said:
Chris, my brother Nick (ramairmustang) had the same problem you did when he put his TWs and stage 1 cam in his 89 GT. It took a while for him to get it ro run right, but now the car's running great and he's happy as hell. Don't put the stock stuff back on (blasphemy!!!) and keep at it. You'll be much happier in the end. :nice:
Tim
you're nick's brother?? i met him this last saturday at a car show....WTF are you doing in texas, lol

yellow1995Cobra said:
Well what does it wont even idle right mean? Is it surging and dieing? More info.

Could just be the usual aftermarket cam woes, some cars are affected much more then others... Whats the LSA on the cam?

I dont understand the whole " well the distributer could be one tooth off". I dont think thats even possible. U stick the distributer in and spin it to its proper spot. If you cant spin around enough to line up the rotor to where u need it, then u pull it out and stick it back in. Worse thing that would happen is the timing would be way low or way high.

Good luck!

I don't recall the LSA on the cam, but it will idle, but if I bring the rpms up then let off, a lot of times it will dip too low and die. Or sometimes it will do the dreaded idle surge and die.

bimmertech said:
get a good pair of plug wire pliers and while the car is running remove one wire at a time and check for a change in idle. when you pull off a wire and nothing changes that indicates your dead cylinder. try this to isolate your misfire. i doubt your o2's are bad although if they get whacked or something when you were doing your head swap they can be damaged.

I'll try that tomorrow before I swap back to the stockers I guess.

18mustangs said:
Tim

I just want my damn car to run. I know I'll be happy with the end result, but at what cost? How long until I can actually enjoy all my hard work and headaches?

super302 said:
you're nick's brother?? i met him this last saturday at a car show....WTF are you doing in texas, lol

Being smart! Texas = :banana: :D

Chris, it might take some messing around with the iac. You might even need to get the idle air adjuster. What you do is turn the iac screw in so the computer dosent adjust the idle as much then you can open the screws on the air adjuster to bump up the idle. And you might try unpluging the iac and opening the tb and see what happens. If you want you can borrow my idle air adjuster plate for a few days if you want to pay for the shipping or meet me half way like somewhere near belton.

Brandon's advice sounds good. If it idles like poop right off the bat, when O2's are not used, but the IAC is at 100% duty cycle, that sounds good to me. O2's would not have been my first thing to address.

I would get the idle up and let the puter try to adapt and see how it does (like others said).

If you can get it up to temp and idling decently, a cylinder balance test might help find a cylinder which is not quite right.
Good luck Chris.

CManT1914 said:
I just want my damn car to run. I know I'll be happy with the end result, but at what cost? How long until I can actually enjoy all my hard work and headaches?

I've been there myself Chris. When Nick's car wouldn't run more than a few seconds it was a problem with his intake manifold. Apparently when the put it back to gether one of the lines got in the way and there was a rather large vacuum leak. He also readjusted his roller rockers a couple of times.
Tim

bjl95mustang said:
Chris, it might take some messing around with the iac. You might even need to get the idle air adjuster. What you do is turn the iac screw in so the computer dosent adjust the idle as much then you can open the screws on the air adjuster to bump up the idle. And you might try unpluging the iac and opening the tb and see what happens. If you want you can borrow my idle air adjuster plate for a few days if you want to pay for the shipping or meet me half way like somewhere near belton.

http://www.mass-air.com/Products.htm#Air%20Adjuster!!

Is this what you're talking about?

I think the whole prob lies around a maf that is suspect.

I think Chris it trying to say that he has a maf that he knows is good so ..........
if that maf and inj's gave a good idle before, well ....................

If he goes back to 19's and that maf that is caled for them, he at least is working with known good parts.

Yes that maf and those inj's are too small but he is not concerned with wot conditions but trying to get an idea about his drivability issues so that might be the way to go for some headway toward the prob.

Later
Grady

Well here's my plans:

tonight I'm gonna put my new balancer on, 19lb injectors, and my pro-m that i know is good. Then I'll try adjusting the idle and see if I can get it set. Then I'll drive it easy and see how it runs. If need be, I will put my afpr back on and bump up the fuel pressure so the injectors can somewhat keep up with my fuel demands. Then I'll at least know how my MAF is, and if I can get another stock filament that is still good, then I'll put my C&L back on with my 30's and see what happens then. A friend who was helping me try and figure out what the problem is, told me that I really need to drive it some to let the valves seat properly, and the springs to break in, and it will probably run a little better after that. So if it's driveable, then I will take it out for a little bit.

EDIT: oh and brandon, i should be in austin tomorrow with my g/f, so if I need it, i can meet you somewhere to pick it up, thanks man!

CManT1914 said:
Well here's my plans:

tonight I'm gonna put my new balancer on, 19lb injectors, and my pro-m that i know is good. Then I'll try adjusting the idle and see if I can get it set. Then I'll drive it easy and see how it runs. If need be, I will put my afpr back on and bump up the fuel pressure so the injectors can somewhat keep up with my fuel demands. Then I'll at least know how my MAF is, and if I can get another stock filament that is still good, then I'll put my C&L back on with my 30's and see what happens then. A friend who was helping me try and figure out what the problem is, told me that I really need to drive it some to let the valves seat properly, and the springs to break in, and it will probably run a little better after that. So if it's driveable, then I will take it out for a little bit.

EDIT: oh and brandon, i should be in austin tomorrow with my g/f, so if I need it, i can meet you somewhere to pick it up, thanks man!

Chris

Be sure to reset your pcm so the adaptive can start from fresh with the new parts.

Later
Grady

Don't worry man you'll get it running. I started my whole situation in mid april and just got it on the road 3 weeks ago :nonono: Dumb little stuff kept going wrong with mine, once i got one thing corrected something else came up. I wanted to burn mine to the ground just so i could have a little gratification, i'm glad i didn't now :D