I'm Checkng Some Explorer 8.8 Disc Brakes Top See If They Will Fit 9 Inch Rear End. Advice Wanted.

rustaddict

Aug 23, 2014
8.8 1.JPG
9 inch 1.JPG
8.8 1.JPG
I won a new custom built 9 inch housing and axles last year at a car show. It is supposed to have Torino flanges on it. I have studied disc brake kits to fit it for months and I have discovered that some have cheesy looking brackets, some have odd combinations of parts and many of them don't have E Brakes..and then there's an Explorer kit on the market. I called about one and they claimed that Explorer brakes out of a boneyard won't fit, but their $400 + kit will. Since I also have a disc equipped 8.8 out of an explorer, I thought I'd try one side of the brakes to see how they fit. Id like to know if yall see any problems with what I have so far. The explorer rear protrudes past the mounting flange where the 9 inch does not. I don't know if that's a proble though.

• Sponsors (?)

What is your axle flange to flange width? (where the wheels bolt) I ask because I'm considering cutting down my '72 LTD 9" to fit the mustang, and I'm then going to need axles, or to have the axles splined and heat treated. If this brake swap works, then my next stop will be my local wrecking yard, and some explorer brakes!

I quit messing with it. The brackets bolted tright up to the 9 inch, but I could never decide how to retain the axles. I put the exploder rear back together and the 9 housing back in the attic for the time being.

Reactions: 1 user