I'm gonna do it..

HogStang

Mar 25, 2004
Well guys.. I've decided to get a blower. I've called Summitt racing for prices and they told me I think 3200-3400 for a non-aftercooled Vortech Supercharger and 4900 for the aftercooled one. So I think I'm going to go with the aftercooled one to be safe and powerful :) After the times I ran at the track I was very disappointed and now I figured this is the best way to go for the power and numbers I want. So, after I get this stupid gear-box leak under control, and get a hold of the guys over at JMS to see if they can re-burn my chip for me for the blower, I'll be all good. Few quick questions - is that price decent for the Vortech Aftercooled? Also - everything in my engine is stock except for the little bolt on's listed in my sig, should my internals be fine? I only have 4k miles on it so everything is fairly "new" still. Thanks guys.

• Sponsors (?)

HogStang said:
I would like to go with the Mongoose kit, but I was reading the specs and info on them at their website and they don't come with intercoolers? Am I missing something? http://www.modularfordpowerhouse.com/products.php?id=70

And I was looking to purchase the Mongoose Kit w/EFI reflasher

But again, I don't see anything about an intercooler. Anyone help me out?
Vortech doesn't make an intercooler...just an aftercooler. You can buy an intercooler made by another company that will work with your vortech. Call up T&J and tell him what you want to do. I'm sure you could get a better price from him than summit.

The mongoose kit can come with a paxton front mount intercooler... theres so many options that they can pretty much do anything you want, power pipes, smaller pulleys, cams, you name it, they can do it. The Vortech kit for the price you saw has a fuel pump that wont work properly with our returnless fuel system and a horrible tune. You can order a tuner kit from a place like www.superchargersonline.com for about $2700 which is just the blower and the mounting hardware. The rest of the kit, like the fuel pump(and tank if you go with an 03 Cobra setup), MAF, injectors and plugs will need to be ordered seperately along with the Tune. If you don't feel like driving all the way to GA, you can do a search for any SCT or EFI authorized tuner and they can pretty much dial your car in perfectly on the dyno. Most dyno tunes cost 400 bucks + dyno time. Be sure to get an electronic fuel pressure gauge and a mechanical boost gauge to make sure everythings running right. And make sure you mount your AIT after the blower, not before it like the Vortech instructions say to. www.modularmustangs.net is a good site for this type of blower install info. Good luck man

PS.. if you don't feel like driving and want a mail order tune.. the Steeda tune is good for a non intercooled car, so long as you stay within the parameters set by the tune.

CTGrey02 said:
The mongoose kit can come with a paxton front mount intercooler... theres so many options that they can pretty much do anything you want, power pipes, smaller pulleys, cams, you name it, they can do it. The Vortech kit for the price you saw has a fuel pump that wont work properly with our returnless fuel system and a horrible tune. You can order a tuner kit from a place like www.superchargersonline.com for about $2700 which is just the blower and the mounting hardware. The rest of the kit, like the fuel pump(and tank if you go with an 03 Cobra setup), MAF, injectors and plugs will need to be ordered seperately along with the Tune. If you don't feel like driving all the way to GA, you can do a search for any SCT or EFI authorized tuner and they can pretty much dial your car in perfectly on the dyno. Most dyno tunes cost 400 bucks + dyno time. Be sure to get an electronic fuel pressure gauge and a mechanical boost gauge to make sure everythings running right. And make sure you mount your AIT after the blower, not before it like the Vortech instructions say to. www.modularmustangs.net is a good site for this type of blower install info. Good luck man

PS.. if you don't feel like driving and want a mail order tune.. the Steeda tune is good for a non intercooled car, so long as you stay within the parameters set by the tune.

you dont have to go to tim's shop now... they can ship you the blower and you can install it youself.... you ship them your ECU and get it tuned....

Alright well.. will I be safe with the Vortech Aftercooled Supercharger on practically bone stock internals. I heard - but I don't know - that if you leave the stock headers on with a blower it will detonate... anyone out there have bone stock everything aside from a Vortech blower with maybe some different injectors/pumps? I want to be safe, but I also don't want to spend over my bank loan that I'm taking out to afford the blower. (Aka - I don't want to purchase new headers if I won't have any problems) Thanks guys.

Also - are my gears alright for going blown? (3.90's I JUST got.) I know a lot of people are saying 3.73's, but should my 3.90's be cool for my Automatic? Thanks guys!

Can't my price range is between 4-5k looking at 6 with install. So I decided to get the Vortech w/Aftercooler from http://www.superchargersonline.com they have very good prices and (4200 w/aftercooler) as far as getting tuned goes, I want Tim to do this.. so would Tim be able to send me a tuned chip, or how does that go? (I never delt with T&J as you can tell heh) Thanks. ps - I cannot drive to GA for a dyno tune as much as I'd like to.

go to www.modularmustangs.com or call tim's shop. I had a non aftercooled Vortech on a bone stock car.. so long as the tune is good, you wont detonate. If your building this for daily driving I'd consider the intercooler instead of an after cooler. Aftercoolers tend to get heat soaked after a good drive. Tim has competitive pricing with superchargersonline.com and you'd only have to deal with him. Enough of us have done similiar kits for him to pretty much know what will work tuning wise for which mods. Once you get into the heavy stuff, like heads, cams, ported intakes and such, then you'll really need to worry about a dyno tune, but with a basic kit, either a SCT or EFI Solutions tune will get ya what you need.. mail order

Ok, so would you say I'd be safe with the aftercooled Vortech Supercharger from superchargersonline.com if I just got it tuned with the SCT chip? I know it may not be the best route and I know Tim's would rock it, but as far as being safe (and hopefully push 370+ hp) from detonating and being as basic as possible, would that be ok for my stock internals (including stock headers)?

Also - Which gauges will I need to buy.. I know boost gauge, but which else and which brand is recommended? I want to buy everything at once when I get the blower.. thanks.