IM SO PISSED YOU HAVE NO IDEA! HELP ME!

HISSIN50 said:
Very good ideas from people on here.

A cylinder balance test will tell you if there is a substantial miss and if it is relegated to one cylinder. It is quick and easy too.

Or you could wait for your new buddy on the fox side to tell you how stupid you are, and what the problem is. :rlaugh:

Good luck Michael.
HAHA JT your the man!!! that guy was such a dick.........can you explain a cylinder balance test for me please?

• Sponsors (?)

stprorolla49 said:
HAHA JT your the man!!! that guy was such a dick.........can you explain a cylinder balance test for me please?
Michael, during the test, the computer cuts off the pulse to each injector systematically and notes the RPM drop. A drop means that cylinder was contributing to performance, whereas no drop means that cylinder was not doing much. So it can tell you what cylinder is not firing, BUT it wont tell you why. It just helps narrow down where to look.

The test can be run 3 times, each time with different criteria, to see how bad of a miss one has. That part wont apply to you too much, but in case you see info about that, that is what they are talking about.

Your repair manual should outline the procedure, as will a code reader's book.

Here is a link with info on doing the test. At the bottom of the page is a forward and back button, in case you want more info (the CBT can be done after retrieving KOER codes, as I recall).

Good luck bud.

HISSIN50 said:
Michael, during the test, the computer cuts off the pulse to each injector systematically and notes the RPM drop. A drop means that cylinder was contributing to performance, whereas no drop means that cylinder was not doing much. So it can tell you what cylinder is not firing, BUT it wont tell you why. It just helps narrow down where to look.

The test can be run 3 times, each time with different criteria, to see how bad of a miss one has. That part wont apply to you too much, but in case you see info about that, that is what they are talking about.

Your repair manual should outline the procedure, as will a code reader's book.

Here is a link with info on doing the test. At the bottom of the page is a forward and back button, in case you want more info (the CBT can be done after retrieving KOER codes, as I recall).

Good luck bud.

how would i go about performing one of these tests? sry for all the questions, but this is my DD and i needa sort this out asap cause i look retarted driving it...

stprorolla49 said:
how would i go about performing one of these tests? sry for all the questions, but this is my DD and i needa sort this out asap cause i look retarted driving it...
easy way is to start the car and pull 1 plug wire at a time, if theres a change in idle you know that specific cyl is fine, if nothing changes youve found the problem

stprorolla49 said:
Michael, have you retrieved codes before? You do the same as you would there, but then continue on to running the CBT. Here is the beginning of that article - you can read it from the beginning so you arent trying to figure out where in the process the CBT is.

The CBT is cool because it will pick up a cylinder which is not missing 100% (this situation can be hard to diagnose when doing things like pulling plug wires, IMHO).

It is very quick and should take less time than pulling wires, etc.

Just MHO.

Good luck.

Check/clean your mass air meter. All the oil in these pre oiled or cleaned and oiled filters can clog up the two little wires in the mass air meter and cause a miss.

This happened to me and I replaced everything. My miss was as 4500-5500 rpm. Thought it was timing. Nope. Checked timing,,,spot on at 10*. Cleaned mass air meter wires and holy cow,,,I have a new car. A/F ratio was spot on as well as soon as I cleaned it. Just another idea for ya.

harley02 said:
Check/clean your mass air meter. All the oil in these pre oiled or cleaned and oiled filters can clog up the two little wires in the mass air meter and cause a miss.

This happened to me and I replaced everything. My miss was as 4500-5500 rpm. Thought it was timing. Nope. Checked timing,,,spot on at 10*. Cleaned mass air meter wires and holy cow,,,I have a new car. A/F ratio was spot on as well as soon as I cleaned it. Just another idea for ya.
yea, i think im gonna check that too.....

UPDATE: at idle, the car now surges from about 700 rpms to about 300-400 rpms....****!

stprorolla49 said:
MOTHER ****ING DISTRIBUTOR!!!!!!!!!!!! got a reman one at autozone, bumped my timing a few degrees, runs like a charm!!

So what does that mean the pickup or one of those inside components was probably shot like the guys were describing earlier?

Either way, GLAD TO HEAR IT! I know how it feels to have a problem solved!