Im sure this has been asked

1fast03pony

Jul 1, 2003
New york
However a search didnt return what im specifically looking for

My car (2003 GT, stock motor) has been misfiring slightly at idle for as long as i can remember, however I thought it was just a normal rough idle.

I changed my original plugs the other day... they had 19,200 miles on them. i figured new autolite double platinums would help the idle a bit. When I took the old plugs out, they ALL were DRIPPING with oil. The tips were not soaked, but the thread and midsection of the plugs were drenched. There was NO oil in the plug holes (which is strange), and the boot was completely dry.

I changed out the plugs, and Im going to check for oil next week. Could the oil be coming from the motor, since the tips of the plugs arent wet? How could oil be on the plugs if the holes are dry and the tips are dry? The boot would be wet if the oil was leaking into the holes, no?

So the new plugs go in, and the misfire is still there at idle. Car has no balls-
I figure the predator tune is screwing something up, so I uninstall it and return to the stock tune. The car PULLS HARDER without the predator tune, but the misfire is there at idle. No codes, and the car doesnt shake violently, but the idle is noticably rough. My friends have 99+gts and their cars dont shake like mine does at idle. Mine idles from 650-750, and I tried raising the idle with the predator, but it still pops from the exhaust and shakes at idle.

Cliff notes: Misfire at idle, no codes, removed predator tune- car runs stronger but misfire at idle is still there. Pulled plugs, soaked with oil on threads and midsection, boot and tip is dry. New plugs are in but misfire is still there.

Any ideas are appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I believe this is a common issue,my '03 has been doing it since the day i brought her home new.I did a search way back when and found some info,but can't remember what i did with it.
I had mine checked,and all cylinders are firing,and was told that ford made it this way,but can't remember the reason on why ford did this. :scratch: :shrug: Even after swapping out the cams,and getting the new pi heads under the tsb for the tic,and putting new plugs,it is still there.You really hear the miss when you gradually climb the rpm's in neutral. :shrug:
I'll see what i can dig up. :nice:

These are some dates when the TSB was sent out to the dealers,and there issued number.It's hard to find anything right now,but if you do a search,you can find some stuff.

04-16-1 ENGINE MISFIRE OR ROUGH RUNNING - COIL ON PLUG (COP) IGNITION SYSTEMS - WDS COP KIT DIAGNOSTIC TIPS

alldata.com/TSB/19/031917c9.html
04-16-1 AUG 04 Ignition System - Engine Misfire Diagnostics Tips
05-22-8 NOV 05 Ignition System - Coil-On-Plug Misfire Diagnostic Tips

I have this exact problem. WTF can i do about it? I'm gonna change my plugs but im pretty sure they won't help. I mean the thing feels sluggish under normal driving but when i go WOT, it runs fine and pulls 13.8's

On my 98 GT, I had an issue similar to what you all are describing. Mine hesitated sometimes under throttle though. I got new plug wires and it fixed the problem. Then after like 1 year, problem came back so I took the wires off where they connect to the coil packs and cleaned the connections really well. I also checked the wires to make sure one wasn't pulling out and they were fine.

After I cleaned the connectors it ran good again. I clean them from time to time and it seems to help. Can't hurt ... :shrug:

I dont think there is any way to clean the COPs...
its interesting though that everyone i talk to that knows cars tell me its definitely the COPs or plugs. I want to have them changed but im not sure if that will help, given the number of people that have this problem, it seems as if its a bad COP design rather than a bad COP.

Thanks for the link 1low, much appreciated. Ill check that out and notify the dealer by me (the manager there is a 23 yr old guy, really cool, doesnt deny me warranty work for any reasons). The mechanics on the other hand... thats a different story :nonono:

Mine doesnt miss at idle, nor besides the cam does it run rough. BUT at a steady RPM of around 2000 it does miss...you can hear it. Its gotten better now...got alot worse when I went to houston. I changed plugs, and for like a week there was like no missing...but its back now :(.

hotmustang331 said:
Mine doesnt miss at idle, nor besides the cam does it run rough. BUT at a steady RPM of around 2000 it does miss...you can hear it. Its gotten better now...got alot worse when I went to houston. I changed plugs, and for like a week there was like no missing...but its back now :(.
Don't blame it on Houston :mad:

BTW, have you or do you know how to check if the COPs are any good?