I'm thinking about buying a Mustang

revmike

Jul 23, 2009
I found a 95 Mustang GT Coupe. The add says it has a 5.0 HO engine. I also found a 98 Mustang GT Coupe with a 4.6 engine. I was wondering if there is a big difference in the engines? Is one considered better than the other ? Is there a certain year Mustang that I should avoid, one that has more problems than others?
I looking at 1995 - 2001 range. Thanks for any advice.

• Sponsors (?)

5.0 or 4.6 there both good cars in there own right > I just started messing with the 4.6's this year and there are a lot I like about them > but I do miss the easyness to work on of the 5.0 motors > I drove a 5.0 for 9 years > the 4.6 will end up giving you more bange for the buck in the long run with the right mods > but the 5.0 will be cheaper to mod and easyer to find parts for in the e-bay / craigslist area's > > take it from me the first thing you need to do is install a good set of gears in the rear > and buy a 5-speed not a crappy auto.

there is a similar thread in talk. so far the concensus is that the 99+ cars give better performance for the money and make a better DD than the 5.0 cars

Given the choice between a 96-98 GT 4.6 and a 95 GT 5.0 with similar condition & mileage, I would take the 95 GT 5.0. Here's why:

1.) The stock 96-98 model two valve 4.6 engines lack low end torque that make the car fun to drive. Stand on the gas, and the engine has to wind up above 3500 RPM before it starts to pull good.
2.) The 4.6 engines are harder to work on. The added complexity of overhead cams with the chains and drive mechanism makes a head swap or head gasket replacement a major ordeal.
3.) The stock 96-98 2 valve 4.6 heads have such poor flow characteristics that major work to the heads is needed to get them to flow good. Most of the time that means replacing the heads with ones made in 99 or later.
4.) There are fewer budget and junkyard add ons for the 4.6 engines. You can't go to the junkyard and come back with a pile of inexpensive parts that will make more power.

5.) The 5.0 engine is easier to work on and they are very durable.
6.) They definitely have lots of low end torque that makes them faster in standing start or low speed acceleration. Quicker off the line and to 60 MPH with comparable engine configurations.
7.) You can increase the cubic inches of a stock 5.0 to 347 Cu in with an overbore and a stroker crank. There is no way you can do that with a 4.6 engine.
8.) There are lots of speed parts that can be bought cheaply.
9.) The junkyard is a goldmine for speed parts. Find a 95-99 V8 Ford Explorer or Mercury Mountaineer and pull the heads, intake manifold and throttle body and you have a backyard bolt on that can add 30-40 HP. It should cost less than $500 for the engine parts. Add another $350 to have the heads reconditioned and for gaskets and other small parts. Top that off with some good headers and you have a great driving street/strip car for not a lot of $$$.

just out of curiosity how can you not stroke a mod motor. not saying you are wrong, just curious.

What I meant was that you will not get 347 cu in out of a 4.6 block. If you know someone that has done it, I would really like to see how they did it.

I had a choice too by a 96gt or 88gt both were project cars i choose the 88 its got lots of electrical issues but hopefully with the awsome people on this this site i can figure it out,plus parts for fox 5.0s are so plentiful these days i would have been dum not too

5.0 or 4.6

I am a 5.0 fan myself. The 5.0 is the last of the mustang pushrods. and the motor is like a civic.... Everybody makes parts for them and they are cheap. Modded motors are ok but I have had both and I wouldnt give the fox away for anything...So if I was you, I would invest the time to look around for a foxbody, they are the best bang for the buck.