Improper subframe connector installation

GToddyT5

Founding Member
Jan 14, 2002
Hamilton, NJ
I had subs welded on my car about two years ago. The installer welded them on lift that raised the car by the frame and not the wheels. Now, a few years down the line, the doors are more difficult to open and it seems like I have some spaces where I didn't before. It seems as though the windows do not line up as well as they did before. If I have the subs removed, will this correct the issue or make it worse? Does anyone have any experience in the matter? Let this be a lesson to always know the shop that you are taking your car to.

• Sponsors (?)

I had subs welded on my car about two years ago. The installer welded them on lift that raised the car by the frame and not the wheels. Now, a few years down the line, the doors are more difficult to open and it seems like I have some spaces where I didn't before. It seems as though the windows do not line up as well as they did before. If I have the subs removed, will this correct the issue or make it worse? Does anyone have any experience in the matter? Let this be a lesson to always know the shop that you are taking your car to.

Thanks for the post. It's good to share the negative experiences to help the newbsters in the future.
:nice:

That sux. I don't know if removing them will help, but I would bet it would help a little, and couldn't hurt. You probably should have a good shop remove them and properly install a pair of full-length subframe connectors. Good luck.
:flag:

This is exactly why i refuse to have them installed on my car. How am i suppose to know if they're right or not, i just don't trust these things.

well thats not a good reason to not have something installed on a car at all. you need to do research on the place that is doing the install and ask others about their experiences at a particular shop and ask what others recommend.

I wouldn't automatically blame the sub frame connectors and there installation. Their strength is still relatively small compared to that of the chassis, so I doubt even a poorly installed set could permantely effect your frame like that.

How are your door hinges? My 97 is only a few years older than your car and has quite a bit of sag in the door hinges, and it's very noticible when openning and closing the door. That could easily explain the window and door gap problem.

I wouldn't automatically blame the sub frame connectors and there installation. Their strength is still relatively small compared to that of the chassis, so I doubt even a poorly installed set could permantely effect your frame like that.

How are your door hinges? My 97 is only a few years older than your car and has quite a bit of sag in the door hinges, and it's very noticible when openning and closing the door. That could easily explain the window and door gap problem.

When a car is lifted by the body it can flex big time. Depending on where you put the lift pads a mustang will flex like cray and it's noticable in all the body part gaps.

It's not a poor installation that screws thigs up, it the position of the body when they are welded in. Once the are fully welded in the body will stay in the same distorted shape. Bad body gaps, sticking doors, and all.

This is exactly why i refuse to have them installed on my car. How am i suppose to know if they're right or not, i just don't trust these things.

How you know if they're right or not is actually very easy.

If they lift it up by the body like most auto shops do to service the vehicle... Then the doors, trunk, and hood are probably going to have crazy gaps and stick when opening.

If they use a drive on lift where the car is resting on the tires just like if it was sitting in the parking lot.... Then you're good to go.

The only other things to even look at are the welds to see how well they are.

I would grind off the subframes and have a shop you trust either weld the old subs back on, or buy new ones.

If you plan on getting a torque arm some day get the subs from the manufacturer who makes the torque arm you want.

Remember it's just metal, it can be fixed. Good luck

It might not revert 100% if you take them off, but if you take them off and have new ones installed properly it could fix things. Maybe wait 6 months and/or a few thousand miles before new ones.